The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

'The Last Great Cavalry Charge' and Great War Dawning

German IR 169

I was pleased to see the January 2016 'Stand To' had a terrific review of Joe Robinson, Janet Robinson and Francis Hendricks new book The Last Great Cavalry Charge: Battle of the Silver Helmets, Halen, 12 August 1914. The book sounds fascinating and it will be on my short list.

In the past week, I received a copy of the Robinson's and Frank Bucholz's superb tome on the Imperial Germany Army "Great War Dawning: Germany and its Army at the Start of World War I. Based on other reviews, it was clear that this book sets the standard for those seeking to understand the Army that Germany fielded in August 1914. Upon digging into it, I quickly realized these impressions were actually understated. This is must have book for any serious WW I library. While its price may seem a bit steep, its deep content 532 pages, spectacular colored maps and photos makes it real bargain.

We are fortunate to have the Robinson's expertise in this subject to add to English readers understanding of the Imperial German Army.

Best wishes to the Robinson's and Francis Hendricks' success in the Last Great Cavalry Charge.

THE LAST GREAT CAVALRY CHARGE was a book that was badly needed in English to cover this early battle. The authors really did their homework & the result is very impressive & will long be the definitive work on the fight. A great read & a must for anyone who is lucky enough to visit the battlefield. A well done to them!

I echo the comments about the "cavalry charge book". I've also got their earlier "Handbook of Imperial Germany" which I think gives a great insight into the make up of pre-war Germany and is, in my opinion, a prequel to their "Great War Dawning" book which is next on my list to buy.

Steve

Thoroughly agree on Great War Dawning. My only criticism was the lack of Index, which the Robinson's explained to me was not the author's decision. But it does mean that you need to keep tabs on things as you make your way through this book.

Trajan

and is, in my opinion, a prequel to their "Great War Dawning"

Thank you all for the undeserved kind words. You know your kind of right. but then it grew into so much more . The Great War Dawning is a huge product. There are all sorts of great things in there and nobody has really challenged the conclusions in chapter 17. We are working on a new book that covers the field reconnaissance of the August 1914 attack. Both cavalry and aviation. I think people will be quite surprised to find out how or why BEF was so badly missed. We are not in a big rush. Today is Janet's 70th birthday and our priorities do not always stay focused.

• 5 months later...

Just to say that my copy of 'the cavalry charge book' arrived yesterday; I bought it based on Peter Hart's review in the DH Fellowship journal. My only criticism is of myself for not having bought it sooner. I started reading it last night (it moved to the top of the pile on its arrival yesterday afternoon - isn't Amazon wonderful) and it is already looking like a really excellent book.

Splendid photos, too.

Actually, Chris, I did read that one too, but for some reason the book went out of my head until I saw Mr Filsell's. I suspect it's an effect of being forgetful/more senior in years/having bought too many books (if that's not an oxymoron) ...

Steven,

Could you send us a link for Peter's review? We have not read it.  We did have the opportunity two days ago to give a talk on the book in San Francisco to the American WW1  association. Two hours of questions and answers on a 1914 subject here in this 1916 centennial year.  It was quite gratifying. Quite a few people ordered Great War Dawning on the spot from US  Amazon though I think there are better price options from Naval and military press and the publisher.  We have never received any royalties from either of those books. Perhaps the most important result was where Jack Sheldon actually endorsed a local San Francisco American beer! Europeans for American beer – what a concept!

Joe, sadly it's in print format-only so far as I know. I'll e-mail Peter and see if anything can be done.

BTW, I looked at Amazon UK for Great War dawning and it appears to be unavailable.

Naval and Military Press.£49.99 plus p&p.

Ta

It is available from  the publisher http://www.militaria.at/Default.aspx

US Amazon has it for you At an inflated price.  No matter what you do it will be pricey. It is an absolutely handsome volume. Many color glossy photos and separate maps. However look at the  good news. At 4 1/2 pounds it could double as a weapon and you could hurl it at your opponent, conversely you could press flowers.

Beats a Corby Trouser Press any day.