The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Robert Graves

Old Tom

As a change from modern military history I was reading, and making hard work of, Robert Graves Count Belisarius. On the book shelf is a somewhat dilapidated copy of Goodbye to All That which I first read while at school a long time ago. I picked it up, opened it at random, and read a few pages. I fairly quickly realised I was reading a junior officers recollection of Loos and the use of gas. I have a fair overall knowledge of that battle, but have never read anything written from a sub-unit point of view, and hence may not be able to judge Graves account. However I think Graves opinion of an ill planned and executed operation, is realistic. Goodbye to All That dates from 1929 and , I suppose, is among the early accounts. I recall comments on the forum about Graves as commentator on the Great War, but think it may be worthwhile to ask for others opinions.

Old Tom

Graves often gets a bad press these days as being a somewhat unreliable source. Nonetheless it's a splendid read & I think anyone whose first encounter with the War is through this book won't be led too far astray. For an even better first-hand account of Loos I'd suggest taking a look at Patrick McGill's 'The Great Push'

• 2 weeks later...

On a battlefields tour in the 1980s I met Don Price, who had fought with 20th RF at High Wood. He was not a fan of Graves, to put it mildly and felt that he had traduced the memory of his fallen comrades in 'GTAT'.

I have now looked at the other thread cited and was surprised to see that I had started that one as well, I must be a Graves fan. There is a mixture of criticism and praise in both threads. I suspect many of the criticisms are matters of detail and also that Graves was writing from memory. Many thanks for the comments. My copy remains beside a copy of Sassoons Memoirs of an Infantry Officer and The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

Old Tom

My copy remains beside a copy of Sassoons Memoirs of an Infantry Officer and The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.Old Tom

Good friends of course; Graves, Sassoon and TEL. All part of the Max Gate circle.

I regret I have not heard of the Max Gate circle. Was it a pre-war or post-war group?Old Tom

Post war Tom. When Lawrence arrived at Bovington in 1923 he wrote to Robert Graves and asked him to get him introduced to Thomas Hardy. In due course Florence invited TEL to tea at Max Gate which he accepted explaining he would arrive in the uniform of a private soldier. He was a regular visitor after that with Graves, Sasson and many more attending - The Max Gate Circle. There is an excellent book by Ronald Knight titled 'The Max Gate Circle'.