The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ex WW1 soldiers + Black and Tans

iian

Hi,

i have for some time been trying to research the career of my Grandfather during the Great War. I have his medals and have established through reading his medal index card and medal rolls that he first served in the Suffolk Regiment and was later transfered to the Machine Gun Corp, he was discharged from the army in January 1920.

One thing puzzles me a little though. Both my brother and i remember our late father telling us that Grandad served in Ireland after the war and he mentioned the Black and Tans.

Its only recently that i've done some reading up on the so called Black and Tans and discovered that they were actually formed in early 1920 and the majority of the men were first world war veterans who were used to boost the ranks of the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

This has made me wonder if my Grandfather could have been one of these men. I hope it is ok to discuss this subject on here, i know i have stepped outside of the 1914-1918 guidelines, but it seems that thousands of soldiers signed up to join this force in Ireland.

Anyway, would be grateful for any information regarding this matter, also does anyone know if there are still any records available listing the men who signed up to join the Black and Tans.

With thanks

Ian.

Click on this link for more info on B&Ts. Plus no connection to RUC, it was the old Royal irish Constabulary. Best of luck , plenty of info here.

Des

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=S...=black+and+tans

Edited by Desmond7