The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Benjamin Selby

Guest chanby

Hello everyone i am new here and think this is such a great site,I was hoping to find one like this and I got lucky today . WellI am doing research on my great grandfather John Benjamin selby. He was in world war 1 and also in the boer war.1899-1902.

I have his medal card information, CORPS leicestershire regiment, REGIMENT NO. 6466 RANK private date 1914-1920 AND THE CATALOGUE REFERENCE wo 372/17. would anyone be able to find anything else out about him with this information if it is possible? I also have his attestation papers which says he was with the 17th leicesters for about 5 years and 3 years with the 21 lancers, with this I have 2 numbers 748331 and with this number it says he was a sergeant with the 2nd depot bn,2nd Québec regiment,(he had moved to canada around 1911.)

He was wounded that it why he was discharged around 1918. the other number I have is 2753025. He was born in nottingham notts,the 21 september 1884,but on his attestation papers,he has 2. One is written he was born the 21 september, 1882 and the other 21 september 1878,why is that?? I know for sure he was born in 1884 because i have his birth certificate. He had married a lucy darby in england.

Well I am glad you made this site as hopefully it will help me and many others in finding out more about the war and there ancestors who served in it.