The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forgotten Aerodromes of World War 1

barkalotloudly

just purchased the above book a wealth of information arranged by county, 270 odd pages printed on high quality paper, many good photographs and information as to the present day location of the airfields all for the sum of 16.50 including postage cannot be bad!

Such an aerodrome may be one between Andover and Salisbury near a small settlement called Lopcombe. If you can spare a minute I would simply like to know if one existed.

Old Tom

Earlier GWF thread

Lopcombe Corner Airfield, eight miles north-east of Salisbury, comprised 228 acres. Known locally as Jack's Bush, it was built in 1917 to train pilots of single-seater planes. (Lopcombe Corner is in Wiltshire though Jack's Bush and the airfield site are in Hampshire.) The technical and living quarters were on the western edge near Mount Buncas Woods. There were six hangars for aircraft and two for stores, an aircraft-repair shed and two motor-transport enclosures covering twenty-nine acres.

The camp opened in September 1917 as Number 3 Training Depot Station. The thin turf was easily cut up and the airfield had a reputation for the dust raised by aircraft taking off in dry weather. It closed in November 1919.

When technical and clerical staff of the Joint Roads Committee asked for increased remuneration, it was noted that Mr Binnie was responsible for three aerodromes, Andover, Challis Hill (both in Hampshire) and Lopcombe Corner, and had been responsible for strengthening and resurfacing the road from Grateley Station to Wallop and for building a 1½ mile approach road to Lopcombe Corner (NA: T 1/12516).

Googling something like "Lopcombe Corner 1944" will lead to brief references about the site's WWII use.

Does the book give any detail about which squadrons were based at any of the sites and when?

Thanks

Simon

Does the book give any detail about which squadrons were based at any of the sites and when?

Thanks

Simon

yep!

Such an aerodrome may be one between Andover and Salisbury near a small settlement called Lopcombe. If you can spare a minute I would simply like to know if one existed.

Old Tom

Lopcombe corner is mentioned

Anything on Wimbledon Common where there was a grass strip near the famous windmill. I believe it was created as an anti Zepp flight base.I also understand that a picture of an aircraft taking off, failing and embedding itself in a house opposite the landing zone exists. Love to know more if you have time

Anything on Wimbledon Common where there was a grass strip near the famous windmill. I believe it was created as an anti Zepp flight base.I also understand that a picture of an aircraft taking off, failing and embedding itself in a house opposite the landing zone exists. Love to know more if you have time

Hi

Yes there was an 'aerodrome' at Wimbledon Common' (TQ 232716), a Home Defence Night Landing Ground 3rd Class for 39 (HD) Sqn. and 141 (HD) Sqn. Oct. 1915 to Dec. 1918.

These details are from Cross and Cockades 'Gazetteer of Flying Sites in the UK and Ireland 1912-1920' by Mick Davies and Bill Morgan. This series ran from Spring 2010 to Autumn 2015. It includes plans of many of the airfields plus included were OS maps of the UK showing the location of the aerodromes, it is the most detailed information available in an easy to use format.

Mike

yes listed with a little write up giving it`s location

Thanks chaps. I walk past the area on my walk, now sadly dogless, most days. It has remained a large open area and something of a bird sanctuary durin breeding time. No mention of that photograph I guess - annoying thing is that I've seen it but can't for the life of me remember where.

David

one of the things i shall do this summer is have a look at the locations listed in Norfolk