The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New book on 'The Somme' - Richard van Emden

paulgranger

I think I will get myself a copy based on the kind reply to my q and the dedication alone. Super gesture.

TT

Likewise

I think I will get myself a copy based on the kind reply to my q and the dedication alone. Super gesture.

TT

I'm part way through and it's a very enjoyable read so far.

Hi David, hi Paul

Delighted to say that I have checked this morning and 'The Somme: the Epic Battle in Soldiers' Own Words and Photographs' is now in stock on Amazon and, of course, at lots of other places too!

All best

R

Safely arrived and now stopping me from working. You are in a rich vein at the moment Richard keep it up!

David

TT

Ordered this morning for the same reasons!!

Trev

Ordered this morning for the same reasons!!

Trev

Me too! Notice from your bio you are a Newcastle alumni Richard - I did English 86-89...happy days!

I hadn't intended to buy a copy of this, but it now looks as if I'm going to have to. So far I've heard nothing negative.

Thank you for everyone's very kind words and I am delighted (as any author would be) that you have ordered copies of the book.

I saw Alicia Wilson today and gave her her complimentary copy and showed her the dedication. I can't tell you just how delightful she is and she appeared genuinely moved to think her dad was being remembered: she also was suprised to see pictures of herself and her father on the page with a short letter written by him to Alicia and her brother on the day of his 38th birthday, a month before he was killed.

Regards and thanks

Richard

Btw, it is not often you meet anyone who talks of meeting Josef Goebbels in 1938 at a needlework convention. 'Nasty little man....he autographed my programme without me even asking....wife was stunningly beautiful.....I have to programme here, would you like to see it?

Anyway, that's slightly off message, but Alicia, one of the last links to the Great War generation, and a battlefield tourist of the 1920s, is one of the most remarkable people I have met.

Anyway, that's slightly off message, but Alicia, one of the last links to the Great War generation, and a battlefield tourist of the 1920s, is one of the most remarkable people I have met.

Given some of the people you have met that is some statement Richard, Alicia sounds absolutely amazing and clearly a very good judge of character at least where high ranking members of the Nazi party are concerned. Presumably the answer to Alicia's question was in the affirmative?

Pete.

Sadly, I've finished reading it now- I say 'sadly', as I wouldn't have been disappointed had it been three times the length (and it's not a short book either). The authentic voice of the soldier really comes across- more so than in many other books I've read, and it was nice to see everyday routine things mentioned too, rather than just dwelling on the horror. A thoroughly recommended read.

Any chance of a follow-up volume about 3rd Ypres, Richard?

Hi Kevin

I am great full for your very kind words. I am a believer that descriptions of endless horror and destruction is counter productive and, in the end, anaesthetising and that the reader needs alternative and lighter stories too.

As for Yores 1917, what should I say? Watch this space, perhaps!

Pete, I only wish I could bottle Alicia up and sell her, I would make a fortune. She lives on her own, drove until three years ago and also drove three to. Trucks into Germany at the end of the war. She is that kind of person, just full of vim and vigour.

And Simon, yes 85-88, we must have staggered past each other on Level 2 many times. I also spent a lot of time out at Whitley Bay and Tynemouth, as well as Gosforth, Jesmond and Heaton looking for veterans. My housemates thought I was a tad barmy.

Richard

Bought my hard back copy today. Look forward to reading it but have two books in front of it first.

TT

Ordered, hoping there is some material we previously discussed.

Andy

I am at my moms in Bridlington tonight. This eve sat in her "sheltered" garden in the sun with a beer flicking through this book just looking at the unique pictures. Glad I bought it! Looks a good read.

TT

I am at my moms in Bridlington tonight. This eve sat in her "sheltered" garden in the sun with a beer flicking through this book just looking at the unique pictures. Glad I bought it! Looks a good read.

TT

Nice description TT. Glad you are enjoying it, it seems to be getting a universal thumbs up even without the spring sunshine and a beer.

Pete.

Mine arrived today, quick look and looks great, nice to have something different.

Tony

I raised this to read now status and after two chapters very good. In style of Lynne McD and Martin M but very good. Long time since I read a voices narrative v Corp / brigade strategic type book. Takes you back to the humble soldier and the pics are the icing. A welcome Somme book.

TT

Six days later, I have finished reading this brilliant book. Much to the stern looks from SWMBO. "Yes I know things need doing, next week will do"!!

I can't recommend The Somme by Richard enough.

I laughed aloud at parts and on more than one occasion, had to put it down to clear the dust from my eyes. Ahem.

Again, brilliant.

Trev

Just ordered my hardback copy, looking forward to reading (although I imagine it will take a while to get to Sydney).

Cheers, Jonathan

A q for the author.

The dust jacket shows a group of men in a flooded trench. They appear to be a Territorial battalion of the Middlesex? Is the front man an officer or OR? He wears an ORs tunic but his cap appears to be an officers? All the others are clearly officers. Do you know for sure if officer from Middlesex? I would not blame him trying to keep his officer tunic clean in the circs and scrounging an OR tunic?

Thanks

TT

Ahhh poss E Lancs? Sure I can see a T?

Another edit. No T. Just Q re tunic now.

Hi TT

The cover shows men of the 8th East Lancashire Regiment including, on the left is Major Beauchamp Magrath who was later killed. As for the kit of the man in front, I'll have to leave that to experts. I had always assumed the man in front was an O.R

Thanks to everyone for being so kind about my new book, I am very grateful indeed.

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I am now a third of the way through the book and enjoying it immensely. I always reflect on the change in mood and tone of the soldiers writings when comparing the innocence and optimism (balanced with a fatalistic understanding of the reality of the war they were in then) before 1/7/16 when compared to the views expressed as the Somme campaign went on.

So far all I can say is a welcome read and a worthy tribute to the men of 1916.

A worthy compliment to the works of Middlebrook and MacDonald in style.

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Richard

I also recently received my copy and I'm extremely impressed - a wonderful addition to my library.

Highly recommended.

Cheers, Jonathan

Nearly finished. 10/10. A worthy tribute. Good German section too. Well done.

TT