The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Warriors Still at Ease

Old Tom

I am unable to resist posting something of this amusing book. I regret it is fiction and outside the WW1 time frame. However it is a collection of articles that appeared in Punch in the twenties and was published in 1928. I have had a copy for years; picked up from a second hand stall or similar for -according to a pencil entry - 25p. Its varied short stories deal with peacetime activities like closing roads across military land to avoid rights of way being established, range days, and inexperienced orderly officers. Some will recognise the element of truth contained in the exploits of Lt Holster and Pte Pullthrough. I have no idea where copies might be obtained. However there must be other copies about and I wonder if any members. have read and enjoyed them.

My apologies for breaking the rules.

Old Tom

Yes, written by Anthony Armstrong, they are very entertaining stories, giving a very good picture of a postwar infantry battalion in UK and amid a climate of defence austerity.

Charles M

I have a copy of an omnibus edition: Warriors at Ease, Warriors Still at Ease, Easy Warriors, Livestock in Barracks, Captain Bayonet and Others.

Published Methuen, First ed Oct 1938, my edition 1947. The stories do have an authentic ring to them, and are very amusing.

Edwin

Thanks for reminding me of one of my favourite books in younger days. I have had 'Warriors Paraded' in my loft for too long and must defy gravity and my wife to get it down for revision. I think mine may be the first title in the series.

A.A. wrote a lot of amusing stuff in the years between the wars, and to make him relevant to this forum can anyone say if he served in WW1?

Daggers

There are three Privates Anthony Armstrong with MICs.

However, COPAC tells me that the author is:

ARMSTRONG, Anthony pseud. [i.e. George Anthony Armstrong Wills.]

Dates 1897-1976 so service is possible.

But my link has him with the Royal Engineers - did he manage both?

There are references to the Great war in his books - one I recall being the digging of fake shell holes to account for the unauthorised disappearance of bicycles.

Edwin

There are references to the Great war in his books - one I recall being the digging of fake shell holes to account for the unauthorised disappearance of bicycles.

Edwin

That made me laugh!