The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Tanks at Flers

paulgranger

Something for the diary. According to the Amazon website, Helion are republishing the book to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the first tank action. I believe the original was in two volumes, one being maps, and if so, the new edition would seem to exclude this, as it's a single volume. A welcome reissue, even so.

Thanks for the pointer Paul.

Due out 25th March, 400 pages , c100 b/w photos, 16 maps. £29.95.

Another to the ever growing list.

John

Ah, we are on slightly crossed wires here. The book you mention is about the first tank crews, by a member of this forum, so much to be trumpeted. The one I've flagged is an earlier work (mid 8os?) long out of print, and much sought after in the past few years. I would think that both books would complement each other wonderfully.

I see, we are talking of the one current used copy (2vols) @£130.

John

No, it's a reprint by Helion, due out on 15 September this year, currently quoted as £35.oo. If you search Amazon under ' The Tanks at Flers', Stephen's book is first, Trevor's reprint is second, and Trevor's used 2 volume original set at £130 is third. £130 is a bit much for me, but £35 more acceptable.

Sorry should have made myself clearer,I was checking it was the used copy is that which is going into reprint

J

Yes, I would think so. Judging by the limited info on the Amazon site, it looks as if it's the narrative volume only. The original was a two part work, the second volume being maps. Helion's own website has no information about the book at all, but I can't think Amazon have made the reprint story up!

No, it's a reprint by Helion, due out on 15 September this year, currently quoted as £35.oo. If you search Amazon under ' The Tanks at Flers', Stephen's book is first, Trevor's reprint is second, and Trevor's used 2 volume original set at £130 is third. £130 is a bit much for me, but £35 more acceptable.

£65 on abebooks for both vols.

I am on the periphery of the reprint of Trevor's original work in time for the centenary.

Helion are the publishers and the target date is the centenary. I do not know if the reprint will be in one volume or two but I believe the maps will be included.

You all missed a bargain then. A copy of the 2 original volume set just sold on a well known auction site for £15 plus P&P

Tanks