The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In the hands of the enemy , much about the coldstream guards?

Coldstreamer

Hello, does this mention the coldstream guards much as I believe author was captured early on.

Also, is a JH mc Neil mentioned at all?

Cheers

Author captured at Landrecies in August 1914 and from there, he was sent to Torgau camp. He was repatriated around June/July 1915 if memory serves me right. Was JH McNeil captured as well? I posted a list of officers on the Yate thread that came from his book and ended up at Torgau if that helps.

Thanks, from memory he was captured December 1914

Thanks for that. I've scanned the book up to the time of the author being captured. There is no mention of JH McNeil up to that point in August 1914. The Coldstream Gds are mentioned those he buried following the action. Unless their paths crossed at the same camps between December when your man was captured and the repat of the author...Have you checked ICRC to see if they were at the same camps at any point? As those at Torgau were moved around 24th November 1914.

I dont remember ever finding him there - the search engine isnt the best

Only know where he was from 1918 onwards

Couldn't be easier to find. Look under Mac I to Mac R - from the drop down. Scroll down to Coldstream Guards and then down a few it looks like your man with 3 cards.

Edit: First card has information on both sides so 4 in all.

I find its always easier to find other peoples things!! Thanks - I will have a look

Let me know if you still don't find him I'll try posting a link. It's a bit of a lottery if I post a link from iPad it sometimes takes you there sometimes not but if you don't find him I'll do it from a PC later.

Still took be ages to find but confirmation they are there meant I kept looking

Answered some other questions I had so much appreciated

Still took be ages to find but confirmation they are there meant I kept looking

Answered some other questions I had so much appreciated

Glad you found him. It's the first time I've seen a newspaper article referenced on an ICRC card. The ICRC site can be painful to use. Using the alphabetical names list from the drop-down menu is more accurate and you can find someone in under a minute. Whereas, using their recommended method can take you all over the place. Maybe I should put a tutorial on the POW thread :D

The stuff on Landrecies mostly concerns the RAMC that the author was with at the time but there are mentions of the Coldstream actions, wounded and burials so please let me know if this is of any use to you.

thanks, it was just JHM I was after - I know I have no medals to anyone wounded this early on

cheers for the help