The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Poilu

yperman

My apologies if this has been touched on in another thread, but I have just read the English translation of 'Poilu - the World War 1 Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, barrelmaker 1914-18'.translated by Edward Strauss, Yale University Press 2014.

What an amazing book! The diary of a frontline Corporal in the 296th Regiment 'Poilu' is written in a beautiful, simple style describing the story and day to day experiences of a front line junior NCO sometime private who served in the trenches for upwards of 3 1/2 years surviving 2nd Ypres,Verdun, the Somme and Chemin des Dames amongst other battles.

Barthas writes at an infantry section level - indeed argues that it is only at that level you can gain some insight into what the French Army's rank and file went through on the Western Front. It is a fascinating and deeply moving account..

Yperman

Years ago I read a book called MY 75 by a French gunner in a 75 battery in the early part of the war. He was later killed in action. Can't recall the author but seems first name was Paul. This was a very good book. It was actually a paper back updated with footnotes etc.. A very good record of the life in a Frrench arty battery.

Paul Lintier, I think.

Yperman, read it late 2015. SNAP what u said.

100% recommended

TT

I read it two or three years ago... in French.

But it's full of post its because it's an amazing reference book on the true life of the soldiers at the front.

A really good book.

in the same league as far as French diaries go, I can suggest the "Carnets de l'aspirant Laby" and Louis Maufrais "J'étais médecin dans les tranchées." Especially that last one... don't know how to say this in English... ça te prend par les trippes !!

M.

Am reading it at the moment. I am surprised that the French army didn't mutiny long before they actually did. It is indeed anexcellent account. I have for some time felt that the horrors experienced by so many French men in the First World War explains the reluctance of many to go through it all again in 1939.