The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SSAFA

Gareth Davies

SSAFA's Official Guide to World War I

The book contains articles on the soldiers, the technology of warfare and life at home during WWI as well as the history of SSAFA itself.

SSAFA Chief Executive, David Murray, commented: “Like many, I have a personal interest in the sacrifice which our Forces and their families made in World War One and indeed continue to make to this very day. My great uncle, Private Samuel Wakeham of the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, was one of over eight million British Empire Forces servicemen who signed up to serve on the Front Line during World War One. He was also one of almost one million who never came home. He died in the Battle of the Somme in September 1916, aged 22 and lies buried in a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery.”

“By 1914, SSAFA was already highly respected for its role in the welfare of military families and on the outbreak of World War One, the British government approached SSAFA to ask for their help supporting the families of servicemen. SSAFA remains as relevant today as ever. Each year we support some 50,000 new clients. In this book you can read about the work SSAFA undertakes, supporting the families of those killed and injured in recent conflicts, as well as the many ways in which we help the veterans of past conflicts.”

Oren Wolf, CEO of the CW Publishing Group said: “I am extremely proud and honoured, to have been able to assist SSAFA in the production of The Great War 1914-18: SSAFA’s Official Guide to World War One.

“We chose SSAFA as our publishing partner as they were the only recognised, nationwide Armed Force’s charity, actually in existence at the outbreak and during The Great War. As such, they provided the frontline of help, care and support for the troops and the loved ones and families left behind, both during and after The Great War.”