The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gallipoli Reckoning

Crunchy

Thanks Crunchy, a quick skip though suggests it will be very worthwhile taking a bit of time on it.

Pete.

Crunchy,

Thank you.

Hendo

Chris,

Many thanks for putting forward this review by Greg Lockhart of your book and that of Mesut Uyar. A most interesting assessment of the work on the landing by the both of you, focusing upon how the Australian and Turkish research has been able to come to the same conclusion as to what actually did take place on the morning of the 25th April 1915.

Lockhart obviously did undertake much further research to give background to the conclusions that both you and Mesut have published, but personally I find that background research had not been thoroughly investigated enough. To be true to this ongoing debate over what occurred at the landing, the early published Turkish works of 2007 should have been mentioned, particularly those of Hasan Basri Danisman "Gallipoli 1915,Day One Plus" & Professor Haluk Oral "Gallipoli 1915, Through Turkish Eyes". One would also have to reference the mammoth debate over the Turkish machine gun question still running upon this forum, I'm sure Chris would not be offended if I suggest that this debate was the catailist to the changing his attitude towards the events of that morning, and to the publishing of his ground breaking work.

Lockhart is also in my opinion a bit harsh upon the ultimate reference work on the landing, that written by C.E. W. Bean in the first volume of the official history. In many respects one cannot argue with some of the discrepancies regarding what occurred at the landing, and the sanitising of some of Bean's history, but that history can never be equaled by its importance and portral of the AIF and the Gallipoli campaign.

Again my thanks for the link to this thought provoking review.

Jeff