The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Any ideas for buying a useful reference book?

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals,

I have recently been kindly given a £50 book voucher which I plan to spend on a WW1 related reference book. I have a particular interest in tracing soldiers individual histories and have a selection of works including British Regiments 1914-18 by Brig EA James and Ray Westlake's book on the Somme which helps me to undertake this research. I would be grateful for any ideas of other similar types of reference books which any of you think might aid in this type of activity as I am sure there will be many I have not heard of. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards,

PrivatePrice.

You might look at the books on the various "PALS" Battns that are available. Lot of names of individuals & rosters too. They have been out for some time so might find them at good low prices. Your voucher for 50pds would go far & let you get more than one in such a case. Good luck & kudos to whoever gave you the voucher.

I note that you have an interest in the 'Royal Field Artillery' - the two volumes of the History of the Royal Regiment of Artillery titled Western Front 1914-18 and The Forgotten Fronts and the Home Base, 1914-18 provide great detail on the RA units involved and their actions during the Great War.

Dear Pals,

Many thanks for your helpful ideas which I will explore and hopefully spend my voucher wisely.I was not aware of the artillery volumes which sound interesting as do the Pals books. The voucher was given to me by my work colleagues as I recently left a team which I had been a member of for a number of years and have many happy memories of working with them so want to make sure their voucher is spent wisely on something that I know I will use.

regards,

PP

For a quick way to check if a man was awarded the Military Medal there's Peter Warrington's book.

For Bravery in the Field Great War British Army Recipients of the Military Medal 1914-1920 a Register
  • Paperback: 652 pages
  • Publisher: Naval & Military Press (15 Aug. 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 178331138X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1783311385

"Instituted in March 1916 as an award for NCOs and men of the Army for acts of bravery. Later extended to women who showed bravery under fire. There was also a provision for the award of a bar for each further act of bravery. All MMs issued to British personnel are named, usually in impressed capitals, During the First World War some 115,000 awards were made, with 5,800 first bars and 180 second bars. There was one award of the MM and three bars. All issued MMs have a notification in the London Gazette. It is rare to find a citation for the Military Medal in the Gazettes It is possible that the reasons for the award will be found in the war diary of the man's unit. Also some details can appear in Regimental Histories and very rarely an original Divisional citation document that was given to the recipient will have survived. This register does NOT include Imperial troops, and Navy personnel"

Derek,

Many thanks for the suggestion of Peter Warrington's book. It would be very apt if I bought it as one of my great uncle's won the MM at Vimy Ridge before getting a blighty wound ! I will search through Naval and Military's Press catalogue to see what other gems they might have on offer.

kind regards,

PrivatePrice.

The Military Medal was indeed awarded to some Warrant Officers [usually to WO Class II CSMs], despite the fact that they were not "NCOs".

There has been a substantial thread on this strange aspect, which I shall search for and hopefully provide a link,

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141208&hl=%26quot%3Bcaptains+to+warrant+officer%26quot%3B#entry1348300

History Of the two Hundred and Fifty One Divisions Of The German Army is invaluable IMHO and good value. Naval and military Press.

A true reference book.

TT

A 1935 Edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom can be had for between £35 and £50 on E-Bay.

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the additional suggestions, much food for thought before I make a final decision of what to buy.

regards,

PrivatePrice.

Dear all,

Finally decided to buy the book on Military Medal's by Peter Warrington which will add to my small library.

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Private Price.

Edited by SgtPrice