The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New book: Hawkesbury at War - The Roll of Honour

simonby

In March 1916, Rolls of Honour where published to record the wartime service of individuals from the village of Hawkesbury Upton in Gloucestershire and the wider parish. One hundred years later, I have researched and produced a detailed Roll of Honour which records all of those who served between 1914 and 1919, including all those remembered on the Hawkesbury Upton War Memorial. Each individual has been extensively researched using official records, letters, newspaper reports and photographs. All of their stories and that of the wider parish at war are told in the book which is now available from https://hawkesburyatwar.wordpress.com/

A recent review reads:

As soon as I got home I sat down and read it from cover to cover – it was very engrossing and moving. I was particularly struck with Simon’s mission to make sure that “we will remember them”; and I think it’s great that he has done something tangible to ensure this happens, beyond just our words each Remembrance Sunday.

The way he’s set the context by having a complete record for the village of the roll of honour makes it much easier to understand just how much of an impact this must have had on the whole community and being able to match the names with current properties made it all feel so real. I do think this book should be required reading for everyone, to remind us all.

If any members of the forum, would like to know more, then please do get in touch.

Simon Bendry