The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDITGW

Gunner R.A.

Could anyone tell me if there are any soldiers recorded in SDITGW who died after 11/11/18?

As the name says it is for soldiers who actually died during the war ie. up to and including 11/11/18 and not beyond.

Could anyone tell me if there are any soldiers recorded in SDITGW who died after 11/11/18?

As the name says it is for soldiers who actually died during the war ie. up to and including 11/11/18 and not beyond.

It actually records War Deaths up to 1919 ,as the Title "Soldiers Died in The Great War 1914~19," suggests,however the CWGC site & Records cover deaths from War Related Causes up to the early 1920s I believe

i feel a bit of a fool though, should have paid closer attention to the title,

Don't. The title can be misleading. Different volumes had different cut-off dates, depending on who was compiling the particular volume and to which unit that volume was for.

Although they become less complete after 1918, it is possible to find died dates up to at least 1921 (possibly 1924, can't quite remember) in certain volumes. That is so long as they were still serving soldiers at death. If , for example , a soldier died in 1919 of wounds recieved, but had been officially discharged, then he won't be mentioned

Dave.

If , for example , a soldier died in 1919 of wounds recieved, but had been officially discharged, then he won't be mentioned

Terry. (I've just recieved a mental block here!) - Am I right in thinking that this is the case also for the CWGC listings?

Dave.

No Dave. He would be listed by CWGC.

The three categories for war grave status are as follows (he would be in group 2).

1) Any serving member of a Commonwealth military, naval or air force who died between the qualifying dates (04.08.14 - 31.08.21 inclusive) of any cause whatsoever and in any location.

2) Any discharged, retired, resigned or otherwise former member of a Commonwealth military, naval or air force who died between the qualifying dates of wounds, injuries or illness sustained whilst in service between the qualifying dates - or who died between the qualifying dates of a condition exacerbated by such wounds, injuries or illness.

3) Any member of a Recognised Civilian Organisation who died between the qualifying dates whilst on duty AND of a war cause or a cause brought on by increased threat due to the war. (This is slightly simplified)

There were a number of recognised civilian organisations for category 3 - the Mercantile Marine being the largest.

The rules were the same for WW2 except that the qualifying dates were different and the list of Recognised Civilian Organisations was also different.

Thanks Terry.

I should have known that, seeing as I have the medals to a guy buried in the cemetery a couple of hundred yards from my house who died in September 1919 after he was discharged (of complications caused by malaria contracted in Salonika), and who has a CWGC headstone! :blink:

Cheers,

Dave.