The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Glorious Dead" by Tim Atkinson

The Scorer

This is being published by Unbound as an electronic book, with the hope that enough people will subscribe to make it available in hard copy.

This is the synopsis:

"What happened when the Great War ended and the guns stopped firing? Who cleared the battlefields and built the great monuments to the fallen? And why did so many men who served - and survived - in France and Flanders end up living and working among the ruins of the war they'd fought?

The Glorious Dead is the fictional story of a group of soldiers who remained in France and Flanders following the Armistice, who served their King and country with a shovel and who found and buried the thousands of bodies abandoned on the road to victory. It is the story of men living among the destruction, death and decay of the so-called ‘war to end all wars’. It is the story of an uneasy peace as over 15,000 ex-servicemen remain abroad working in the former theatres of war, burying the dead and rebuilding their own lives. The work of these men is one of the most original yet neglected aspects of this most compelling era in our nation’s history.

Theirs is a story worth telling."

It sounds interesting, but does anyone know anything more about it (i.e. have they read it as an electronic book?), please?

Thank you.

Reading this made me wonder if this fictionalised story, worthy as I am sure it is, may not be overshadowed by accounts, published or not, of those men (and maybe women) who actually did this work with their own hands.

I don't want to decry this publication BUT surely more detailed research would uncover numerous stories written by those who were there.

Sorry, but a book of a fictionalised account of events so long ago makes me wonder on what basis this was made. If the authors had real-life accounts then perhaps, fine, if they are used AND accredited. Anything else lays the book open to accusations of just another book cashing in on a popular topic.

Martin

Thanks for your comments.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it to see if it's published in book form.