The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Nation in Arms: The British Army in the First World War

A Nation in Arms: The British Army in the First World War

First published in 1985, this is worth a read. In what is now quite a familiar format the book includes eight chapters on a range of subjects by seven academics/authors. It is a book that I had not read before and despite considerable research by other authors in many of the areas it touches, it still offers valuable insights on a range of subjects. Amazon offers a decent preview.

Chapter 1 The Nation in Arms, 1914–1918 Ian Beckett, US Marine Corps University

Chapter 2 The Regular Army of 1914 Edward M. Spiers, University of Leeds

Chapter 3 The Officers Keith Simpson MP, House of Commons

Chapter 4 The New Armies Clive Hughes, Dyfed Country Record Office

Chapter 5 The Territorial Force Ian Beckett, US Marine Corps University

Chapter 6 Soldiers and civilians: billeting in Britain and France Peter Simkins, University of Birmingham

Chapter 7 Army and Society: the Demographic Context Jay Winter, Yale University

Chapter 8 The Post-war Army Keith Jeffery, University of Ulster

Appendix I Infantry divisions of the British army, 1914–1918

Appendix II Cavalry and mounted divisions of the British army, 1914–1918

An annotated bibliography of the British army, 1914–1918

I bought the kindle version (£5.99) to follow up on some research references on officers in the Great War. The chapter on Officers by Keith Simpson (Co-Editor) is very well researched. The copious notes provided extremely useful leads to earlier publications and articles and original material that have proven to be a mine of information - some of which were far from familiar.

Just thought it was worth flagging since I could not find a reference to it on GWF and despite its age it is still full of valuable information. MG

I also found this book to be an outstanding reference.

I think this is an excellent book too. I suppose it all depends on what you are interested in. Today, books like this are regarded as mainstream contributions to understanding WW1 from a British perspective. However, its worth adding a historiographical perspective - when this book was first published, the field was dominated by "flags on maps" histories (ie accounts of battles etc), and A Nation at Arms would have been regarded (by many) as being a work of sociology rather than military history. I'm glad that our understanding of a phenomenon as complex as the First World War has broadened out, and gone beyond "flags on maps" with a few tragic poets thrown in!

• 10 months later...

This book, second hand, was a thoughtful birthday present from a family member who knows that, these days, I have a greater interest in the social history of the war and not the military history. You will not come across a rifle being fired in its 200+ pages.

As noted above, each chapter has a different author but it is well edited by Ian Beckett and Keith Simpson so that the narrative flows through without any writing style differences jarring on the reader. As you might expect from an academic work it is very well referenced and has an extensive bibliography.

Martin

I would echo your recommendation. In spite of being published over 30 years ago, its research is still relevant.

Charles M 

30 minutes ago, charlesmessenger said:

Martin

I would echo your recommendation. In spite of being published over 30 years ago, its research is still relevant.

Charles M 

I started with this book-the paperback reprint-by chance after undertaking to do a local Roll. Sensible chapters outlining some of the main problems-a useful bibliography. Two of it's authors had bought books from me as a bookseller-and Ian Beckett is sound on anything he writes about. Then,by chance,I bought "Call to Arms"-  Modesty interrupts here. Both books have helped me enormously. When I see the slurry of general book coming out on the war, then it must have been my lucky week when these 2 popped up in different places. Perhaps I should have indulged in a lottery ticket as well.