The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

shot at dawn book

chaz

the wife is getting interested visiting cemeteries in France now, one of her interests is the Shot at dawn casualties. as its her birthday on 2nd July I am looking for a book she can carry with her when visiting SAD's graves.

any recommendations, lists and locations. I know there are web sites but cant get a signal out there!!

"Blindfold & Alone" offers a more even-handed account of the issues, than "Shot at Dawn". In my opinion of course. Both have lists. The latter is shorter, smaller and more portable which may be an issue if she's intending taking it with her. But I'd still recommend the former as the birthday present - she can always photocopy any particular pages she needs to take out and about with her.

I thought I had an answer. I have a guide book to SAD locations and burials, but it is for Flanders not France.

Roger M

thanks John and Roger.

have ordered Blindfold and alone for starters

"Blindfold & Alone" offers a more even-handed account of the issues, than "Shot at Dawn". In my opinion of course. Both have lists. The latter is shorter, smaller and more portable which may be an issue if she's intending taking it with her. But I'd still recommend the former as the birthday present - she can always photocopy and particular pages she needs to take out and about with her.

Blindfold and Alone enjoys a good academic reputation.

Shot at Dawn has always had a reputation for being liberally sprinkled with mistakes: there was a new edition about a year ago, but I don't know how many of the mistakes were corrected. This is an emotive area, and you really need s to have learned your stuff from a reliable source to be equipped for getting into those discussions that always start when you mention that you are interested in military executions.... :(

William

I didn't realise til I asked and got the reply, Shot at Dawn was a title, I was just asking a question :blush:

anyway have ordered and received Blindfold and Alone, ready to give her on 2nd July.

one thing I found a bargain..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172177839262

glad I waited its just been reduced!!! by £17.01

having a laugh :w00t:

Easily found on Amazon for a few quid, £4.63 inc p&p from brit books via amazon at the mo.

A lot of people (present company excepted I am quite sure) think that eBay is always going to be the cheapest - I always check with amazon 1st and for books 'bookfinder.com' and seldom settle on the ebay price.

Edited by timbo58

The problem with 'Bindfold and Alone' and 'Shot at Dawn' is that both focus on individual cases. The result is that the patterns and mosaics - the bigger picture of how the capital punishment system in the British Army worked - never emerges.

For example there is no or little indication in either title that the system favoured officers (who were rarely shot) rather than enlisted men; and discriminated against black and Irish soldiers who were shot in numbers out of all proportion to their number of recruits.

I

one thing I found a bargain..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172177839262

glad I waited its just been reduced!!! by £17.01

having a laugh :w00t:

Wow, I've got a copy signed by Carolyn Corns, what do you think that would be worth??? :w00t: