The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fabulous Admirals

rolt968

Does anyone remember this book:

Fabulous Admirals,

and some naval fragments ... Compiled ... by Commander G. L. Lowis ... with considerable assistance and a foreword from Admiral Sir Denis Boyd ... with illustrations by Capt. Jack Broome.

I see it was published in 1957. I must have read it about 1961, aged 11 and have never seen it since.

I can remember that two of the admirals were Arbuthnott and Hood. Also that chronologically the last subject was not actually and admiral but the captain who collapsed and died just before taking over HMS Exeter post refit - I cannot remember his name.

If anyone can remember the book can you remember any of the other subjects?

Roger M

Roger

The captain of the Exeter who died was WNT Beckett. You will enjoy his Wikipedia entry as it is drawn almost exclusively from the book you mentioned. Well worth a look

David

Thanks David. The book must have made quite an impression if I can remember three of the people in it after 55 years or so!

Roger M

Edit: Thank you again. Very interesting. I could remember that he was given the job of scuttling George V's yacht, Brittania.

Ah, books I read 50 years ago are no problem, but what I read the day before yesterday, now that's another matter!

David

Several copies currently on offer on Abebooks U.K. from £4.

Mike.

Several copies currently on offer on Abebooks U.K. from £4.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. I will try to get a copy.

Roger

The captain of the Exeter who died was WNT Beckett. You will enjoy his Wikipedia entry as it is drawn almost exclusively from the book you mentioned. Well worth a look

David

If that's typical of the book, I might have to get a copy too!

My copy of Fabulous Admirals arrived three or four days ago. It is as entertaining as I remember it. I was wrong about a chapter on Horace Hood, but there is one on Pakenham. There is a chapter on Arbuthnot, which includes two or three long quotes from Chatfield's book describing Arbuthnot's thinking which caused him to expose the 1st Cruiser Squadron at Jutland.

There are also chapters on Fisher's brother (didn't like Fisher) and the two Kellys (didn't like each other).

A story in the category of "probably better put differently":

A young lieutenant was show Queen Mary round HMS Tiger. He explained that the ship belonged to the Splendid Cats class, indicated HMS Lion and added that she was also a Splendid Cat.

Queen Mary enquired if there were any other ships in the Splendid Cars class.

To which the lieutenant replied that there were Queen Mary and the Princess Royal....

Roger M