The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

First Day of the Somme - Andrew MacDonald

Cockney

I can strongly recommend this book for its depth of research and highly readable style. It looks at 1st July from the perspective of both sides adding another dimension to a well trodden path. I am surprised that there has not been more of a positive reaction to this book which does not seek to replace the Middlebrook classic but complements it very well. It is not as detailed as bmac's excellent (ongoing) series on 1st July but a very, very good single volume treatment of the day.

Edited by Cockney Sparrow

I've bought it but not yet read it. To be honest, I was going to pass it by, as the publishers blurb quoted on Amazon didn't do it any favours, but the back jacket quotes from respected writers suggest it's a better book than it appears. Based on their comments, and yours, it looks as if it'll be worth the time.

Yes I passed it by on Amazon at first. Then saw it in Daunt Books in London and read the blurb on the back. Thought it worth a punt and it was - it is excellent.

I am half way through it, I too think it good. I have learned quite a lot, many would say I have a lot to learn of course. In particular the view of battle from the German perspective is good and the whole book is very readable. I wouldn't agree with all the author's conclusions, but that is what healthy debate is about. All in all a worthwhile read, less "scholarly" than some, but that is possibly one of its attractions.