The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Reference in Road to En-Dor

healdav

In 'Road to En-Dor there is a refernece to: "It is true that the feat was eventually accomplished and eight men led by Cochrane reached Cyprus in September 1918. The narrative of their adventures has been published................."

No book name is given. Does anyone know what it might be?

I believe it is called '450 miles to freedom' by Captain M.A.B Johnston and Captain K.D Yearsley , published by William Blackwood & Sons in 1919.

On abebooks as "Four-fifty miles to freedom". But I'm afraid I've just bought the only first edition that was available :blush: there are reprints, though.

Or if you're desperate to have it you can - once I've read it ...

sJ

What I can't figure out is why the paperback reprint has the picture of an Elizabethan looking gentleman in armour on the front cover :unsure:

I know! :rolleyes:

Available online

Four-Fifty Miles to Freedom by Captain M A B Johnston, RGA and Captain K D Yearsley RE 1919 Archive.org.

Also the original book mentioned; The Road to En-Dor; being an account of how two prisoners of war at Yozgad in Turkey won their way to freedom by E H Jones Lt. IARO, 1920 Archive.org

The following may be of interest: En-Dor Unveiled : The Story behind The Road to En-dor by Tony Craven Walker February 2014. html version, pdf, link to other downloads hesperuspress.com. Jones was a member of the Volunteer Artillery Battery (Rangoon Contingent)

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks very much. Strangely, 450 MIles to Freedom is mentioned further on, so why no mention on the first occasion? We shall never know.