The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stella Books (online bookshop)

seaJane

Just ran "First world war" through the search engine: http://www.stellabooks.com/stock?filterSearch="First+world+war"

As ever the one I'd really be interested in is the one that's beyond my budget!

sJ

Oi, you!

Any more of that and I will have to deploy the Librarian Glare Mk #1 :D

Would it be this one ..... ?

HUNLIKELY!
Written by W. Heath Robinson. Illustrated by W. Heath Robinson.
Stock no. 627226
Published by Duckworth & Co.. 1916. Slightly better than very good condition in a good dustwrapper.

Superb b/w full-page cartoons depicting happenings in the first world war. Heath Robinson at his best! Red cloth spine. Cream boards with black vignette and title. Reprinted November 1916 (same year as first published). Book corners bumped and rubbed. Contents very clean and bright. Original dustwrapper torn and repaired with minimal loss and a very few grubby marks. Scarce in original wrapper.

Buy now for £120.00 In basket » checkout Enquire about this book

If it is, I agree with you ... !

You're quite right!

Perhaps you could buy it then eat beans & crackers for meals til things get balanced again?

I can cite practical experience, it does work eventually!

Amongst their list I noticed 'Adventures on the Western Front Aug 14-June 15 )' by A. Rawlinson ( brother of Sir Henry), he was part of a

group of owner / drivers who volunteered their services at the start of the war and went to France with the B.E.F. He mounted a machine gun

on to his sports car and sped around the lanes of Northern France carrying messages and passengers between units and trying to dodge

German cavalry patrols along on the way. I really enjoyed reading it , the author also wrote another Great War book ' The Defence of London 15-18'

published in 1923.

Adventures on the Western Front, August, 1914-June, 1915 by A Rawlinson 1925 Hathi Trust Digital Library.

Also by the same author in respect of his military service

Adventures in the Near East, 1918-1922 by A Rawlinson, New York edition 1924 (Originally published 1923) Hathi Trust Digital Library. Also available as  a pdf download, 1923, Digital Library of India.1923, Digital Library of India. (Note, this latter website is currently down.Try after the weekend)

Cheers

Maureen