The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hawker V.C

Black Maria

Having an interest in the air war this book has been on my radar for quite a long time, but what has put me off acquiring a copy before now is the price

or the condition of those copies I've seen for sale. Prices (abe) range from £15 for an x-lib reading copy to nearly £200 , with the average around £50/60

for a decent copy. The book was written by the brother of Lanoe Hawker and published by the Mitre Press in 1965, it contains many interesting photographs,

this copy is a second printing ( all printings appear scarce) and in fine condition internally and it didn't cost an arm and leg.

hawker v.c.jpeg

Thanks David, yes it's a book you don't hear much about , I found a mention of it on the 'war in the air' sub-forum but not on this one.

Just done some checking on the book, apparently there's a Pen and Sword reprint available in large and low cost numbers on abebooks! The cover,s not half as appealing though.

david

12 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

Just done some checking on the book, apparently there's a Pen and Sword reprint available in large and low cost numbers on abebooks! The cover,s not half as appealing though.

david

That one must have passed me by ,it's good to know it's more widely available than I thought though . Yes it's quite a striking jacket and i do prefer the original

edition to a reprint , although P&S's quality is very good.

A very good read.  I bought my copy about forty(!) years ago.  I was impressed by Tyrell Hawker's neutral coverage of a brother that he obviously adored.

Gareth

1 hour ago, Dolphin said:

A very good read.  I bought my copy about forty(!) years ago.  I was impressed by Tyrell Hawker's neutral coverage of a brother that he obviously adored.

Gareth

I'm looking forward to reading my copy , I must say that one of the reasons I wanted to get a copy was because it was written by his brother, but I

doubt I will have it for forty years, or if I do I will have forgotten I own it by that time :D