The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

On the Effectiveness of Military Institutions

James A Pratt III

A few years ago the book "On the Effectiveness of Military Institutions Volume 1 World War One" by Allen Millet and Williamson Murray was online at dtic.mil but I can't find it there now. Is it online any where? can anyone help me? thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

A few years ago the book "On the Effectiveness of Military Institutions Volume 1 World War One" by Allen Millet and Williamson Murray was online at dtic.mil but I can't find it there now. Is it online any where? can anyone help me? thanks in advance.

Hi

My three volumes are called 'Military Effectiveness', Unwin Hyman, 1988.  Part of the Mershon Center Series on Defense and Foreign Policy.  Interestingly when looking back at the contents (it's many years since I read them) it now appears quite 'old fashioned' in part, much being based on secondary sources, memoirs and official histories.  It is amazing what has come out on WW1 (based more on archival material) since this was published, some sections probably needing a re-write to bring them up to date.

Mike