The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme: 141 Days, 141 Lives

alastaircox

Does any one have this book by Churchill and Holmes? If so, please could you check the entry for 5th August? I have the medals for 6044 W. Fenton, 5th Dragoon Guards, killed on that day. Is there by any chance a photograph of him?

Also, is it a good read?

Thanks in advance, Alastair.

Hi Alastair 

Unfortunately he was one of the ones we couldn't find an image for. I'd be happy to let you know if anyone makes contact with us about him as a result of the book though. I did go through a number of local papers but there would surely be more to investigate. I always felt it was a bit hit and miss finding him because he moved about a bit. 

I think it's ok but then, I wrote it. The length of the bios ranges considerably (400-1700 words) and Fenton is not one of the most extensive ones if that helps you gauge whether you want a copy. 

Best wishes 

Alex Churchill 

Thank you for your replies Alex - it looks like I need to pop out and buy a copy. Out of interest, I am sure it is explained in the book, but how did you choose the 141?

We realised pretty

quickly that we weren't even going to be scratching the surface each day despite being able to pick all of these stories. Initial ones were stories we knew of, or we knew which battalion we wanted. Then it got complicated with making sure we were covering the whole battlefield, all arms, all aspects, maintaining a proper ratio of men to officers, married men, single, conscripts, Aug 14 men, regulars, Territorials. Then there was factoring in the dominions. Right at the end it was pretty sad. I think it came to the last Canadian and we were faced with ignoring seven and taking one and nobody wanted to call it and dishonour the ones that were culled so we found a way for Holmes's cat to choose! 

We put eight service files on the kitchen floor and the one he sat on made it in, in case you were wondering. 

For every one that made it in there were thousands that didn't and that was quite sad by the end. The list was every changing as far as a couple of dates were concerned till right before we submitted the draft. 

I'm going to go off on a complete tangent now Alex but I think I have something you will be interested in seeing. It is a large scrap book collected by the mother of an officer in the Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment (13th London), Eton School 1905-1910, shooting team, Magdalen College Oxford rowing and shooting. Eton OTC, 2nd Lt 1914 ----> Lt Colonel OBE (Military).  

Very interested to see - know the school will be too!