The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Apokalypse Verdun 1916

fritz

Hello,

I would like to draw your attention to this new book.

Apokalypse Verdun 1916 - Der Opfergang der Goslarer Jäger  
edited by Wolfgang Paland
Publisher BoD, Norderstedt 2016

The 1st World War will mark the hundredth time, and with it the infamous Battle of Verdun.
My great-uncle Karl Krentel from Salzgitter has survived this battle and I took the opportunity to trace this sad "anniversary" his way through this inferno.

Karl Krentel was a soldier of “Hannoversches Jägerbataillon 10” of Goslar, which belonged to the Alpine Corps. The Alpine Corps was used in the period from June to August 1916 in the area of Fort Douaumont-Fleury. In the fierce fighting the Goslarer Jäger suffered heavy losses. Nearly nobody without wounds. The dead could not be salvaged. Many of them are still resting today on the battlefield.

This book is not a treatise on the strategic and tactical considerations of the military leaders, but will describe the perspective of ordinary soldiers. Fritz Jung in his chronicle "Goslarer Jäger im Weltkrieg - Das Hannoversche Jägerbataillon Nr. 10" has collected personal stories of his comrades , which provided most of the information for this book. Many photos and maps, as they are available today, illustrate these reports. These collected images are supplemented by what is known of Karl Krentel.

Best regards
Fritz

Please look here for further details

https://www.amazon.de/Apokalypse-Verdun-1916-Opfergang-Goslarer/dp/3741236985/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467053373&sr=8-1&keywords=wolfgang+paland

Titelseite - Kopie.jpg