The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walter Pedley S Lancs Regiment

Guest david-julie

Guest david-julie

My uncle Walter Pedley born Birmingham ended up in S Lancs Regiment during WW1. He died of wounds in France date unknown but think after 1915 as no 1915 star on medal card. Listed in Birmingham Book of remembrance and medal card but not on CWGC nor army overseas death at GRO. Not listed with S Lancs Regiment in Soldiers Roll of Honour. Was he a conscript? Is that why he ended up in S Lancs rather than Royal Warwicks? He would have been 21 at start of the war.

Guest david-julie

The only source I have is my mother, Walter's half sister. Her mother, Walter's step mother believed in family ties ensuring her children knew about their older siblings. She told my mother that Walter died of wounds in France during WW1. He is also listed in the Hall of Memory in Birmingham and is listed in the city's Book of Remembrance. Not much I know but my mother insists he died in France.

I have found two Walter Pedley's in northern regiments one in West Riding who was too old and one in E Lancs who was born in Burnley.

Could he have been known as something other than Walter? Middle name perhaps?

Probably no use at all ( :rolleyes: ) but theres a James W Pedley of the S Lancs medal card here:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=16

Description Medal card of Pedley, James W

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Lancashire Regiment 27913 Private

Royal Army Service Corps EMT/61700 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/15

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Nolan P - Pickering S M

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Costs £3.50 if its him; soz if youve already got his card but I had a little look anyway!

Good luck

Steve :D

Guest david-julie

Thanks for the information on the card. If you're right and it sounds as if you are he either didn't die in France as you say or its not my Walter Pedley, in which case I'll have to back track.