The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme-ambulism

Now that the hand-wringing is over, I thought it might be worth trundling out to the Somme to walk the ground. I am ambling through Amazon's forest of books trying to find a decent single volume on the Battle of the Somme (the full nine yards not just the first day). One can't but help notice that the market is now awash with new publications trying to shed new light into this dark space. Which one to buy that will trump  the OH 1916 Vol II?

Hugh Sebag-Montefiore's "Somme: Into the Breach" is a possibility for the simple reason his book on the Enigma Machine was very good. If he managed to achieve the same with the Somme it would be an achievement. If anyone has a view on this book it would be welcome.

Elsewhere there are a number of books on the Somme that seem to be heavily based on first-hand accounts. I usually find these mildly interesting but lacking in analysis or any deconstruction of the original narrative so I tend to avoid them. Cutting and pasting quotes seems rather one-dimensional. They require analysis.  The risk of course is that I am missing something. Richard Van Emden's "The Somme: The Epic Battle in the Soldiers' Own Words and Photographs" is a possibility and again I would be interested if anyone has a strong and informed view. I note that Alexandra Churchill has also published the "Somme: 141 days, 141 lives" which might be similar to Van Emden's book. I would be curious to know the overlap in the personal accounts. Any views would be gratefully received. I am reluctant on the 141 days because Alexandra's 'critically acclaimed' book on Etonians 'Blood and Thunder' was riddled with errors (to put it mildly)  and did not appear to have been proof read. Always happy to keep an open mind though... Also I see Andrew Roberts has a book on the Somme...I am not a fan of his work so it would need a strong buy recommendation....doubtless there are a few more publications.

Is it possible that the battle is simply too large and complex for a single volume? Is it possible to shed new light on this subject? One of the historical challenges has been the sheer volume of material. One hopes that modern technology and more easy access to primary material might open new doors and provide new insights....

I have Martin Middlebrook's, Lyn Macdonald's, Robert Kershaw's and Peter Hart's contributions to the historiography of the Somme......and of course the OH. Any pointers would be welcome. I am particularly interested in everything except the 1st July 1916 which has become like the Temple on the Mount -  a space that sacred to people with divergent views that is continually fought over. A view from the other side of the hill would also be interesting. MG

23 minutes ago, QGE said:

a decent single volume on the Battle of the Somme (the full nine yards not just the first day).

Come on, Martin. Even Blackadder knew Haig's drinks cabinet got further than that.

Have you considered Gary Sheffield's The Somme: A New History?

Jack Sheldon's 'The German Army on The Somme' is an excellent view from the other side. And Ralph Whitehead's 'The Other Side of the Wire'  covers the same ground. William Philpot's 'Bloody Victory' gives much-needed emphasis to the French effort. Other single-volume histories by Farrar-Hockley, Peter Liddle and Robin Prior with Trevor Wilson have their merits.

• Admin

Hugh Sebag Montefiore's book had a 'great' review in the Times, 'the only book you'll need etc', a couple of weeks ago.  The reviewer in the Telegraph called it 'magisterial'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/battle-of-the-somme-centenary-the-best-new-history-books/

The Guardian wasn't quite so impressed and I lost interest in him and his book when he recited some anecdote about a German killing a prisoner on Breakfast TV. The presenter didn't seem to like it, and I thought it neither time nor place when the theme was reconciliation just sensationalist.

Ken

Just remembered Chris McNab's ' Somme Day-by-Day'

I would agree with Paul  "Bloody Victory The sacrifice on the Somme" by William Philpott covers the entire Somme campaign and covers the French involvement, which barely gets a mention elsewhere  . It runs to 721 pages so it should keep you quiet. It won the Templer medal 2010 and the late Richard Holmes gave it the thumbs up !

Many thanks to one and all. Some interesting recommendations and some titles that I was not aware of.... I tend to buy Kindle editions as I travel a lot and can port my e-library with me (and the books are searchable). I am a fan of Philpott's work and I note that his book is released on Kindle on 4th Aug at nearly a third of the price of the hardcover. As the winner of the Templer Medal I guess it has made the top of the pile of recommendations. Thank you. 

My one concern is that his book "Attrition: Fighting the First World War" was riddled with typos. Has the art of proof-reading died in modern publishing? 

Separately - 

Kindle is offering a lot of good Great War reads at just 99p at the moment. 

Middlebrook's First Day of the Somme is holding its price on Kindle at £7.99 which is interesting: £1.00 more than the paperback.. 

1 hour ago, Mike_H said:

Chris McCarthy!

I stand corrected. Should have checked my bookshelf, my memory isn't what it was.

15 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Come on, Martin. Even Blackadder knew Haig's drinks cabinet got further than that.

I am not sure it was even that much... in the scene where Capt Darling is asked by General Melchett to verify the scale of the very small model of the ground taken, he replies "one to one" 

15 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Have you considered Gary Sheffield's The Somme: A New History?

Yes. On this recommendation. Kindle. Bought today. Thank you for the recommendation. MG

Martin

Jonathan Boff has just recommended The Battle of the Somme edited by Matthias Strohn.  It's a collection of essays:

Foreword by Professor Sir Hew Strachan 
The Context of the Somme
Attrition or Annihilation?
French Strategy in 1916 and the Battle of the Somme
Air War over the Somme
The British Army's Operations on the Somme
Trial and Error: the Dominion forces
French Generalship on the Somme
The Road to Modern Combined Arms Warfare
British Tactical Practice During the Somme Campaign
The German Army at War
The Evolution of French Tactics 1914-16
The Long Shadows of the Somme

22 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Martin

Jonathan Boff has just recommended The Battle of the Somme edited by Matthias Strohn.  It's a collection of essays:

Foreword by Professor Sir Hew Strachan 
The Context of the Somme
Attrition or Annihilation?
French Strategy in 1916 and the Battle of the Somme
Air War over the Somme
The British Army's Operations on the Somme
Trial and Error: the Dominion forces
French Generalship on the Somme
The Road to Modern Combined Arms Warfare
British Tactical Practice During the Somme Campaign
The German Army at War
The Evolution of French Tactics 1914-16
The Long Shadows of the Somme

Nice. Thank you. MG

Through German Eyes: The British Army on the Somme through German sources by Christopher Duffy is a good read and challenges some preconceptions about the Somme.  

1 hour ago, sheldrake said:

Through German Eyes: The British Army on the Somme through German sources by Christopher Duffy is a good read and challenges some preconceptions about the Somme.  

I concur - this was a really fresh perspective.