The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Books on British Divisional Command

Simon_Fielding

I have always felt under informed when discussion of the British Army in the Great War centres on Divisions and their commanders. Can you recommend reading that might move me on from boots, bullets and battalions? ? 

These may be of interest;  The Somme by   Gary Sheffield and  Passchendaele in Perspective  by    Peter H Liddle.

The volumes of the Official History which are usually available from public libraries on request may be what you are looking for. 

There more than a few Divisional histories, and a number of books on command at Corps level, and Corps commanders, but I can't think of an examination of divisional commanders. Which is not a lot of help, sorry.

Just found one 'Far from a donkey' by John Baynes, a life of Ivor Maxse, commander 18 Div.

4 hours ago, Simon_Fielding said:

I have always felt under informed when discussion of the British Army in the Great War centres on Divisions and their commanders. Can you recommend reading that might move me on from boots, bullets and battalions? ? 

Hi

'Command and Control on the Western front' edited by Sheffield and Todman, has a chapter on 'Command and Control in Battle: British Divisions on the Menin Road Ridge, 20 September 1917' by John Lee.

'From the Somme to Victory' by Peter Simkins has four of the chapters relating to divisions.

'British Generalship on the Western Front' by Simon Robbins includes information on divisional command.

'British Fighting Methods in the Great War' edited by Paddy Griffith, has a chapter on 'Co-stars or Supporting Cast? British Divisions in 'The Hundred Days', 1918' by Peter Simkins.  Also 'The SHLM Project - Assessing the Battle Performance of British Divisions' by John Lee.

'Stemming the Tide' edited by Spencer Jones has two chapters relating to Divisional Command.

'Courage without Glory' edited by Spencer Jones has: 'Henry Horn as Divisional Commander' by Simon Robbins. '8th Division and the Action at Bois Grenier, 25 September 1915' by Alun Thomas.  'Gas, Grenades and Grievances: The Attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt by 46th (North midland) Division, 13 October 1915' by Michael Woods.

Simon Peaple has also done a book on the 46th Division in WW1 'Mud, Blood and Determination'

Looking at academic sites on the internet you may find several PhD papers relating to Divisions.

There are quite a few other books that include 'Divisional' content.

Mike

Wow - thank you Mike - brilliant. 

11 hours ago, paulgranger said:

Just found one 'Far from a donkey' by John Baynes, a life of Ivor Maxse, commander 18 Div.

Thanks - sounds just the ticket 

There are brief pen portraits of many First World War British generals (ie brig gen and up) at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/warstudies/research/projects/lionsdonkeys/index.aspx

Putty by Anthony Leask - Lt General Sir William Poulteney - Helion

Haking by Michael senior - Pen & Sword

Plumer by Geoffrey Powell - Pen & Sword

Command on the Western Front   Sir Henry Rawlinson by Prior & Wilson - Pen & Sword

Haig's Generals by Robin Neillands - Robinson Publishing

British Generalship on the Western Front by Simon Robbins- Routledge

Thanks Squirrel - Kindle Haig's Generals is currently 99p!