The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Plumer

PhilB

I recently found that I`d been pronouncing the USCW General Heth`s name incorrectly. (Apparently it`s like Heath). Now I wonder about WW1 names. Like Plumer - PLUME-ER or PLUM-ER?

Any others I should beware of? Phil B

I am a serving Police Officer in North Yorkshire and part of my area (and most of my work) is in Catterick Garrison. One of the main roads is called Plumer Road and is pronounced PLOOMER Road by everybody.

Incidentially all of the streets/roads/barracks have a military connection and one estate has its streets named after Great War Generals. However there is a Glasgow Drive, was there a General Glasgow?

SEAN

Depends: prima facie I would opt for Ploomer, but I'm sure I've heard him referred to as "Plumber" and this would feel to be the more correct pronunciation among those at the time who had heard his name rather than merely read it.

Essentially it often depends on the individual family: my own Clan surname is pronounced differently from the majority and has been for the best part of a century.

One of the lingering class divides, I suppose, so that those 'in the know' can recognise others 'in the know' , and both can spot those who have only seen the names in print.

For example, "Sinjen" for St John, and "Chummley" for Chalmondley, and a homosexual teenage past is pronounced as "a public school education".

Richard (pronounced FFFFFSSSHHH)

my own Clan surname is pronounced differently from the majority and has been for the best part of a century.

Don`t tell us there`s a whole clan of DirtyDicks! I hesitate to ask what the chief of the DirtyDicks is called!

I tend to go along with your surmise, Richard. Remember Alec Douglas-Home? The Toffs do delight in odd pronunciations. Is there any way of knowing what his friends and family called him? Are there any Plumers around now?

Which reminds me. How do you pronounce the name of the explorer Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham Fiennes?

Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham Fiennes' father was killed in Italy as the C.O. of an Armoured Regiment. Somewhere I read that some men in the unit were captured by the Germans. The main question they wanted to know the answer to was "How do you pronounce the name of your Lt Col"?

Then you've obviously not heard of the Clan motto, "Evil Lurks under the Sporran".

And yes, they probably pronounce it "Humour J Simpson".

Ricardo

Which reminds me. How do you pronounce the name of the explorer Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham Fiennes?

Ranny Twisten-Wickham-Fines? Dining with him and celebrity farmer-chef Hugh Fernly-Knitting-Pattern this very eve.

Bopy-Sopy, dear boy, one can't forget a chap like he! :lol: