The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

FAIR PRICES?

David Filsell

Although I reckon I have a pretty good handle on pre-owned Great War books, I have just been offered the opportunity to buy four largely outside my area of interest of which I have no idea of value. What would fellow collectors consider to be a fair price (to buyer and seller - a non dealer)  be for :

1The Bond Of Sacrifice Vol 1  -  sound condition and of more interest than the others to me since it covers 1914

The Roll of Honour (Ruvigny) Vol 1 &3 - very untidy binding

There is also a very scruffy copy of A Soldier's Diary of the Great war by Captain G A Prideaux (£5.00 in my book - unless someone knows better.

I've just bought a rather unusual piece of 'trench' art from the same chap - a shell case on a tuned wooden base with the open end belled out to form a vase. It's marked 'Jutland' and the also name 'HMS Goshawk' (1st Destroyer Flottila).

He accepted a fair price and I do not want to stiff him for the books. 

Edited by David Filsell

Both Bond of Sacrifice & the Ruvigny are quite scarce (assuming they are originals) so I'd reckon £60 - 80 each, maybe £50 if they're a bit tatty.

Both The Bond of Sacrifice and DeRuvigny's The Roll of Honour have been reprinted by a number of different publishers, including some relatively recently, so you will need to determine whether you are dealing with a reprint or an original copy.

David

Presumably your A Soldier's Diary of the Great War is different to the one by anonymous author (actually Capt Duncan Bell MC) with Introduction by Henry Williamson.

Charles M

'A Soldier's diary of the Great War' by Captain G.A Prideaux M.C, published by The Chiswick Press for private circulation in 1918 . I purchased

my copy in 2007 for £ 120 and have only ever seen one other copy ( x-lib) for sale in the last Sixteen odd years.

rflorey

I  yet to see the books, but from the images, they look as if the are leather backed bound originals - if they're reprints they ar old and quite well done.

Charles

it is a different book to Bell's, but I have yet to check it in the various bibliographies I have.

Regards

David

The author started the war as a transport officer in the S.L.I and by the end of 1916 was brigade major, he was killed whilst making a

reconnaissance of the trenches in January 1917 , although it's as rare as hen's teeth and interesting in parts it's not the most riveting

book I've ever read.

12 hours ago, David Filsell said:

DJC

Thanks for that. I've emailed him to ask for his price, but I now have reference point.

If you decide not to buy the books I'd be happy to step in!

He's had a punt at prices - far too expensive in view of condition and the guidance kindly given here. About to enter negotiations1. DJC - will advise.

Soldiers diary?? go for it, very scarce mine is the only copy i have ever seen, printed in 1917? i think offer 50/75 and see how it goes !

Its not the value of the book or the 'deal'. I really have reached the point in my collecting when for space and other reasons I have to be sensible. Did I really write that?

Make that two copies of "A Soldier's Diary of the Great War 1914-1917". Mine is a presentation copy from the father of Captain Prideaux to Helen Semple but it's the only copy I've seen in a dozen years.

Chris,

I have him locked away to save him from his book, military bronzes, and artefact buying self. Poor chap's event trying to post on the forum without making errors of spelling, punctuation or logic now!

Anon

i have never regretted buying a book only not buying a book ! 

yep did that on a photograph album the other day.......i know i shall regret it!!!

Deal has been settled. He was asking; Volume 1 Roll Of Honour £80, Volume 3 Roll Of Honour £70, and Bond Of Sacrifice £70.

He advised that he had been offered £180.00 for Captain G.A. Prideaux's War Diary'

David.

Volume 1 Roll Of Honour roughly 2.500 portraits' asking £80.

Volume 3 Roll Of Honour roughly 1.300 portraits, asking £70.

Would very much like to keep above 2 together.

Bond Of Sacrifice, asking £70.

I have passed on the scuffy Prideaux. He has accepted my initial offer of £150 for the three memorial volumes and seems happy .

Thanks for the help on the thread. If anyone would like the diary - I will pass on email addresses to the seller.

• 3 months later...

A copy of Prideaux's 'A Soldier's diary' has just sold on e-bay for the grand sum of £22.55.

I'd forgotten about this thread. In the event I decided to back away without any regrets. it just started to get too complicated.

15 hours ago, Black Maria said:

A copy of Prideaux's 'A Soldier's diary' has just sold on e-bay for the grand sum of £22.55.

somebody has got a real bargain!! trouble with Ebay you never can tell which way it is going to go, i have just purchased several German trench maps ,The Somme, Vimy Ridge, [1917} Cambrai, St Quentin  {March 1918} As well as panoramic and Aerial photographs not cheap but all for a very fair price