The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Numbers of British P.1907 bayonets surviving

JMB1943

@t.ryan 324 is really looking like you are trying to set a challenge for me 

Edited by navydoc16

JMB, navydoc,

Another nice tidy smiling tiger #1287, as stated.

I recon that this one brings up the # 325 which was the last goal set back in February, and in the end a piece of cake!!!. and mainly thanks to the influx of new smiling tiger numbers added by navydoc's hunting skills over the past few months.

Remember that not to long ago 300 seamed just to far.

Cheers,

TR

TR,

YES…….7386 / 2074 already in last Table, so add 13 gives 324.

Latest one, #1287, makes the 325th recorded. 

Thanks for keeping me honest!

Do I hear 350?…..Going once, going twice, going……..

Regards,

JMB

@JMB1943challenge accepted.... just need more patients to cancel and I will get back on the hunt 

I did a brief search, but my school blocks access to websites involving weapons!

However, being a savvy and somewhat dim-witted teenager, i've managed to get around.

1689?

turekbodak10-768x508.jpg.2504b3d8fef2f6510352a90a113f20b1.jpg

Edited by tankengine888

27 minutes ago, navydoc16 said:

@tankengine888 1685 I believe 

That means its already on the list- oh well.

I'll go back to sleeping during a teacher's explanation of what to do.

A couple of nice clean new numbers, 3472 & 8788 it is; and a good start to the next goal of 350.

I have not come across any of these new ones in my searching, so there is still a chance that there are many other smiling tiger bayonets out there waiting to be found on yet unexplored sites.

Cheers,

TR

I have recently found some very active “classifieds” sites here in Aus, Canada and the UK- the issue is that for the cost of keeping data, many are sold without retaining the photos of information. 

as such I missed out on a bayonet by literally a couple hours, it was listed in the morning and by lunch it was sold (it was cheap) and the photos were gone and I couldn’t contact the user. We have probably missed a lot from these sources - if you search up gun-post Canada there has been 4 listed just in the last month 

kind regards

g

When I first started searching a couple of years ago, I came across WorthPoint in the U.S. which had heaps of sold ones still listed with photo's, most gone now but still showing quiet a few. I search them regularly for any new ones or ones I missed

They also have several 1920 Siamese Contract bayonets that the photo's supplied will never tell or show us anything as far as the number goes unfortunately.

Cheers,

TR

Worthpoint is good, invaluable delete data along with most of the auction sights- but the classified are the most annoying, OZgun, usedguns and gunposy all either delete the photos or keep a simple un-diagnostic thumbnail photo. 

kind regards

g

Another new smiling tiger for the list, # 891.

Pays to change search words around a little, this time I used "Siamese numbered 1907 bayonets", and this one popped up.

Cheers,

TR

S891.jpg

Also search criteria around P1920 - smiling tiger - tiger corps 

I also found a bunch listed incorrectly as Siamese Arisaka bayonets 

putting in combinations like - Pair - rifle and bayonet - for sale - auction - lot

^ yielded a lot of results

kind regards

g

I have also sent a bunch of emails out to my regular bayonet dealers, asking for photos of previously sold items- a lot of the more serious dealers keep records of prices and condition in case they require them for reference

kind regards

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

IMG_0450.png

You’re doing better than the stock market mate!

kind regarfs

g

4E68155C-7B8B-4428-A6BC-E14F8915E684.jpeg