The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Somme 1916: A Battlefield Companion - Gerald Gliddon

berty199

Hi

I have a 2006 edition of Gerald Gliddon's 'Battlefield Companion' - I've seen a new updated edition  is on Amazon from £13 upwards - has anyone bought it? Is it a significant improvement on earlier editions? 

Thanks!

Martin

Edited by berty199

A quick 'look inside' the Kindle edition on Amazon at the author's preface/introduction suggests that your 2006 edition is the last revision, though the book was reprinted in 2009 and 2013. I don't think you'd gain any more info by buying the current offering.

Many thanks for you response Paul - duly noted!

Regards

Martin

No problem. I have a the book in it's earlier form as ' The Battle of The Somme', so I've actually bought the Kindle version of the current edition, partly based on looking it up following your query, and noticing the current e-book price is affordable.  It's all your fault, you know.

I've clearly much to answer for. Ok, same question re: Before Endeavours Fade - I've seen the new edition is in colour - do you know of anything else that might make it a worthwhile purchase?

Much appreciated!

Regards

Martin

Ah, now, on that, I can't speak with any authority, I loaned my copy to someone, and it's never come back! it does look as if the last revision was 2006, when the photos were all/mostly, retaken and in colour, but It's not clear if any text updates were made.  Rose died in 1991, so any narrative changes since then wouldn't have been hers. It depends, I suppose, on what condition your current copy is in. Unless it's a signed first edition, it's probably worth updating if it's beginning to fall apart.

I guess it's only money at the end of the day. Quite where I'll fit it in on my shelves I don't know, but hey I'll worry about that when it turns up...

I have much the same problem^_^

I looked quickly at the new copy of the 'Somme 1916' in the Bodleian and if I remember correctly it says on the the back cover that it is revised and expanded or something like that... 

Yes, I've reviewed it for the NAM - publication next month - and I don't usually review simple reprints or paperback reissues (except to mention when hardbacks, usually academic ones, get a paperback  issue at a price ordinary human beings can afford) unless a considerable revision.   The foreword of this edition says "expanded by a third" - so I've

reviewed it. 

I'm confused now. I've just had a look through the forewords and introduction in the Kindle edition I've just bought, see up thread. According to those, the major revision was made in 2006, increasing the entries from 200 to over 300. However, the latest version IS an update on that, which I hadn't spotted when I looked following the Op. However, it doesn't read as if it's as radical as the 2006 reworking.