The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The War That Ended Peace

Old Tom

This fine book which deals with that part of the century before 1914 has received brief on on the forum, but only, I think, in the context of what are you reading. It deserves its own entry. Margaret MacMillan is Professor of International History at Oxford, and has appeared in several BBC programmes about the causes of the war. It is a work of some 600 pages dealing very clearly with the wide range of factors that lead to the war. To mention a few; Germany's place on the world stage, Anglo-German naval rivalry, the Entente Cordiale, national plans and the incidents in the Balkans, and elsewhere.  I found the style easy to read and the content well presented. 

Professor Macmillan's work, which I have always admired (especially When Nixon Met Mao, but that was for professional reasons) causes me a couple of problems. One of the few pre-centenary lectures she gave was at Wolverhampton on the basis of this book.  I was perturbed by the firm assertion that the Second International could have  stopped the war in its tracks by calling a general strike across Europe.  I was sitting with a Professor of History friend of mine who, when I asked his opinion said "all right for undergraduates".  Ouch.