The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What books are you most keen to find?

Dust Jacket Collector

Inspired by a current thread in which members are asked which medals they're looking for, I thought it might be useful to have a similar one for books. We all come across scarce volumes but if we already have them we tend not to give them a second glance. I thought if members listed the volumes they're looking for here then others could let them know if they chance upon them or even have a spare copy they might part with.

I'll just list a few to start with in case it's just me! (First UK editions in jackets of course)

Vivian - The Phantom Brigade

Sapper - The Human Touch

MacGill - The Red Horizon

Malins - How I Filmed the War

Harvey - Comrades in Captivity

Kopp - Two Lone Ships

I think that'll do for now.

Navy and Army Illustrated, 1914 and 1915.

The war diary of Cpl Sidney Appleyard of the 9th Londons, and heard there may be a war diary of a Robert Collier of the 2nd  Sussex (plan to visit Eastbourne Redoubt regarding the latter)

Jim

I'm primarily interested in diaries or memoirs relating to Scottish soldiers or Regiments.

I've been keeping an eye out for "Scotland Yet" appearing on the 2nd hand sites.

31 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

I've been keeping an eye out for "Scotland Yet" appearing on the 2nd hand sites.

I have it myself so I'll let you know if I see another one.

15 hours ago, Derek Black said:

I'm primarily interested in diaries or memoirs relating to Scottish soldiers or Regiments.

I don't know if you have seen this thread

14 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

I don't know if you have seen this thread

I have indeed.

I'd take either version, if i could find one!

I see from my two last posts on the thread that two copies came up for sale within six months of each other , although apart from a very rare

jacketed copy that sold straight away, I've not seen any for sale since. Like DJC I will keep a look out and post on the thread if I see any more

for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody read 'The Confessions of a  Private', by Frank Gray?  Nobody seems to mention it in their favourites. I haven't got a copy, is it worth the effort of the big money asked online?

I'm looking for a copy of E C Gregory's 'History of the Sixth Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment, Vol II - 2/6th Battalion'.

Cheers,

Nigel

51 minutes ago, other ranker said:

Has anybody read 'The Confessions of a  Private', by Frank Gray?  Nobody seems to mention it in their favourites. I haven't got a copy, is it worth the effort of the big money asked online?

I have a copy of the second edition printed in 1922 , I have so many books in my collection to read that I haven't got round to it yet . I am reading

'On the remainder of our front' at the moment but will read it afterwards . The second edition preface says it was well received by people when it

was first printed and there was a demand for a second ( cheaper) edition. I paid £100 for mine in 2012 , so the £85 copy seems about the price

you would expect to pay from a dealer.

8 hours ago, other ranker said:

The 1920 edition is available  to read online on the Hathi Trust Digital Library.

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/wu.89100103993?urlappend=%3Bseq=7

However, when I looked only the first few pages were displaying. Whether this is a permanent fault with the digital file, or some temporary problem with my internet access,  I don't know.

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 month later...

looking for book, Kriegsgefangenenlager Chemnitz 1914-18. It's images of the POW camp Chemnitz S4202401red.JPG

Edited by shereeflesch

the books i am looking for??? all joking aside they tend to be the ones i have never heard of nothing better than stumbling across a book you have never seen or heard of, others i seek are

Samuel Underhill

York and Lancaster regiment vol 2

history of 30 squadron

a complete set of the roll of honour Rugbeians

military operations Persia {original} 

the work of the miner on the western front 

The day that was the Sphinx

i am also keeping an eye out for several books concerning the British in India/north west frontier during the 1800`s

When i look at the books we are seeking i am very glad indeed that i did a lot of buying during the early 2000`s when i first went on line, did not realise then just how scarce some of these books would become !!  

Dorina Neave's Remembering Kut is one I should like to find at a reasonable price ... 

On 9/10/2016 at 20:57, Dogflud said:

I'm looking for a copy of E C Gregory's 'History of the Sixth Battalion, The West Yorkshire Regiment, Vol II - 2/6th Battalion'.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ta da! Tom Donovan (Don't know if it's still available)

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Dorina Neave's Remembering Kut is one I should like to find at a reasonable price ... 

Several copies on ABE including a signed one in it's jacket for £83 . Doesn't seem too dear.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Ta da! Tom Donovan (Don't know if it's still available)

Shall I just send you my wants list?

Divorce lawyers R Us might be more useful.

Actually, a book I'd love (but would be unable to afford - really unable to afford) would be a first edition (and I'm not sure there have been any others anyway) of Herbert Edwardes' A Year on the Punjab Frontier; I borrowed a copy some years ago and it's a rattling good read, in a mid-Victorian sort of way.

33 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Actually, a book I'd love (but would be unable to afford - really unable to afford) would be a first edition (and I'm not sure there have been any others anyway) of Herbert Edwardes' A Year on the Punjab Frontier; I borrowed a copy some years ago and it's a rattling good read, in a mid-Victorian sort of way.

all Cads, Tiffen, and Mutton Chop side burns that`s just the stuff to give the troops, cannot beat it. and then after 30 years duty on the sub continent retired retire to "Rose Villa" somewhere on the outskirts of London where you can get  a train at midnight on a sunday in the middle in the middle of winter. 

13 minutes ago, barkalotloudly said:

all Cads, Tiffen, and Mutton Chop side burns that`s just the stuff to give the troops, cannot beat it. and then after 30 years duty on the sub continent retired retire to "Rose Villa" somewhere on the outskirts of London where you can get  a train at midnight on a sunday in the middle in the middle of winter. 

Look and learn

One of my all-time heroes.

And THIS is a damned fine book!

48 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

If you take Mrs. B on a pleasant drive tomorrow up to Royal Wootten Bassett you'll find a nice copy there for a mere £525. ( it was reprinted in India in 1987 - a copy on ABE for £30).

Matthew 16:23.

Here's the poor man's version(s) Click

Mike

buried with Karl Marx 

Matthew 16:23.

Indeed. Human concerns were exactly what I had in mind.