The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Darrington - the phantom

Blackblue

The second one is Canadian Expeditionary Force Dee. There were slightly differing hat badges for many of the infantry battalions. Perhaps one of our Canadians can help?

Rgds

Tim

The men are pictured are a Warrant Officer Class 2, CQMS and Sergeants.

Tim

You can actually search Canadian WW1 attestation papers on line.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html

There appears to be two possibilities that I am able to find....if he enlisted under his full name! Our Canadian Pals should be able to provide a unit. Only the second attesttation paper is digitized.

Names: BOYD , JOHN T

Regimental number: 908

Names: BOYD , JOHN THOMAS

Regimental number: 279506

Looking at the photo there is one Warrant Officer, a CQMS and eight sergeants. I would hazard a guess that these may be the Regimental Quartermaster's staff.

Rgds

Tim

Guest deepathart

Thanks Tim

I didn't think the 2nd one was of Grandad - he was another Darrington -think I will throw this one back to the Canadian Rellies, I am having enough problems with the English and Australian ones. :lol:

Dee

There are three Darrington's listed with Candian Archives Dee. One from Nova Scotia and two from England. Are they worth a look?

Regards

Tim

Guest deepathart

Hi Tim

Nope they are not any good - they have Darrington for their middle names, <_<

I do know now that a couple of the Great Uncles went to Canada to look for gold - perhaps they fell down the mine :P no record of any of them joining up - I think they were too old anyway - around the 40 mark. No offence to any 40 year olds that read this.

Dee

Guest deepathart

Found the three that you mentioned - Sam could have been related somewhere down the track - Grandad had a brother Samuel Charles - his Great Uncle was also a Sam, they came from Bedfordshire also.

Thanks again every little bit helps.

Regards

Dee

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

Not sure if this is of interest but I have researched the Darrington family of Roxton in Bedfordshire.

Peter was killed on July 1st 1916 with the Bedfords.

Cheers.

I have sent you an email Dee.\

You may want to check here the information on Peter was supplied by me, I will see what else I can find.

You say some of your relatives also came from Eaton Socon, this is on the outskirts of St Neots where Peters brother is shown as living.

Best wishes John.