The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Migration after the war

jamie 1978

Hello,

I read somewhere that after the war the Government encouraged/assisted returning soldiers to start a life in Australia. As this seems to be the case with my Grandfather does anyone have any information on it. Such as what years this exercise ran from and to. Are there any lists? Any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie Tyrrell

Wasn't it after WW2? In the late 40s and 50s the Australian government implemented the White Australia Policy. Also introduced assisted migration (e.g., the £10 "pom" saying). Other nationalites were Italians, Greeks, Poles, Czechs many of whom were employed on the construction of the Snowy Mountains Scheme.

http://www.snowyhydro.com.au/

Robbie

Around Remembrance Day there was an article in the local West Australian paper with a Claude Choules who is a Royal Navy WW1 Veteran living in WA.

In the article he made mention of getting assisted passage to Australia after WW1. I believe it was about 1920 when Choules came to WA.

I can't say for how long this type of assisted passage occured though.

Jamie,

if using Google, you search for "Soldier Settlements", and if in Oz, then narrow the search to Australia, you will find a wealth of info.

I used to live in Traralgon, Vic and towards Sale, Maffra, Kilmany, etc you can still spot the soldier settlement farms, both WW1 and WW2.

Happy searching

Peter ;)

Interesting stuff Peter. This question was asked a month or so ago, in a slightly different form.

My father was an ex-soldier due to emigrate to Queensland after WW2, but my mother refused to leave her family.

"Soldier Settlements" and "Queensland" comes up with 55 hits on Google. I will have to find the time to work my way through them!

My Great Grandfather (2nd Bn HLI) came to Australia in 1919-1920 but I don't know if he had any government incentives etc.

The other half of the family came a little earlier after stealing a sheep.

Tim L.

Tim L.

Tim I'm jealous. All dinky di Aussies want a convict in their family. Sadly I cannot make that claim.

Robbie :(

Not all Australian/New Zealand troops served in France from 1916 - many spent long periods in the UK, particularly the Salisbury area being one I know of that had a concentration of Australian troops from 1916. At the end of the war some ANZACS returned with British born brides. Not quite what you mean I know but certainly an aspect of post-WW1 migration down-under.

Interesting Signals. What tasks would these guys have been doing?

Robbie

Tim L.

Tim I'm jealous. All dinky di Aussies want a convict in their family. Sadly I cannot make that claim.

Robbie :(

Did you hear Kenneth Horne's interview with the feisty Julie Koolobah last week?

Julie: My great-great grandfather arrived on a convict ship.

Ken: Oh really! What had he done?

Julie: Forgotten his glasses. He thought he was on the Woolwich ferry.

I'll get my coat...

:huh:

Canada also encouraged migration affter WW1. My mother was brought up in Canada after my grandparents emigrated to Manitoba in 1920, attracted by the offer of free land for settlers.

With regards to Salisbury Plain, troops fom Canada , Australia and New Zealand all found temporary homes there prior to being sent to the Western Front. The First Canadian Contingent, with its HQ at the Bustard Inn, which still stands near Rollestone Camp, just outside Larkhill, established quite a repuatation there. In one 14-week period, of 4000 Canadians admitted to hospital, 1,249 were suffering from venereal disease. Australian troops were encamped in many places on the Plain including Larkhill and nearby Bulford, where No 1 Australian Dermatalogical Hospital was located, mainly for the teatment of VD. Also located at Bulford, at Sling Plantation, were the New Zealanders.

Terry Reeves

No 1 Australian Dermatalogical Hospital was located, mainly for the teatment of VD.

No. 1 Hospital implies there were numbers 2 or more? Goodness me. Were the Aussies the only allies to be in this (unfortunate) situation?

Robbie B)

Robbie, they were certainly not. Sometime ago whilst reseaching 214 Army Troops Company RE, raised in my home town of Coventry, the unit war diary recorded that their first casualty was a sapper sent to hosptial suffering from VD. That after being in France for just six weeks!

Terry Reeves

That's good, Terry. Six weeks is rather a long while though. <_<

Robbie