The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Gratuity - should I put it in book form ?

ss002d6252

Craig- Just out of curiosity, does this ring a bell?

War pensions, gratuities, allowances, treatment and training for officers, N.C.O's. and men : a handbook with scales of payment and full index.

Montague Barlow Sir, 1868-; W. Gordon Williams

London : Dryden Press : John Davy 1918

Available at LSE Library Store pamphlets COLL. P 17457

If not, then I can try and order it up tomorrow or Friday if I go in to LSE- Its my old college and they let us old uns use the library .But its in store and not on open shelves.

I recently went for a hard copy output (via Createspace) and found the publishing process quite simple, really. I've not created a Kindle version, as yet. The hard part has been getting the book in front of the public given that WHS, Waterstones etc weren't interested. I've already recovered my publication costs (the cost of buying 250 copies for resale by myself - face to face or as an Amazon seller - having sneakily removed the work from all other sales channels) and am now in profit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neath-Record-Breaking-1988-89-Season/dp/153551308X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478042259&sr=8-1&keywords=neath+neath+neath

Bernard

Looking at the publication date I think that it pre dates the "war gratuity" scheme. That having been said I would, and suspect Craig would also, really appreciate anything that you could post about allowances, gratuities, etc

Regards

Chris

Craig- Just out of curiosity, does this ring a bell?

War pensions, gratuities, allowances, treatment and training for officers, N.C.O's. and men : a handbook with scales of payment and full index.

Montague Barlow Sir, 1868-; W. Gordon Williams

London : Dryden Press : John Davy 1918

Available at LSE Library Store pamphlets COLL. P 17457

If not, then I can try and order it up tomorrow or Friday if I go in to LSE- Its my old college and they let us old uns use the library .But its in store and not on open shelves.

Thanks, it's not a book I've come across.

Unless it was at the very end of 1918 and they'd managed to rush through information on the war gratuity then I suspect it refers to pensions and discretionary gratuities - that being said, anything on the service gratuity (as per the pay warrant) or the various gratuities that were agreed for men on special enlistments in 1914 would be very much appreciated.

Craig

It was just a curiosity!  LSE does not give an edition mumber-other copies on COPAC are all 6th edition,which is 1919.

If LSE is not the right edition, then wait a couple more days and I'll get the BL copy out-I have to look some stuff up for this Forum anyway.

Probably useless but worth looking at even for a few minutes.

Dear Craig,

What what it is worth: I would buy a copy, too!

I know how you feel. For example, I would love to write a book - or even a booklet - about the much-neglected Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO).

Indeed, even organising a reprint of the four IARO volumes with brief details of entry into the IARO (held by the British Library) would be a great service. But would it be a thankless task, one asks oneself?

As far as Gratuities are concerned, I know that some of the Officers represented in my medal collection, got a gratuity, and some apparently not. It is a grey area, not much known about (except by you, that is). Perhaps you could combine "gratuities", with some other relevant, related subject, making a combined Sujet that would appeal to a wider audience - therefore giving your efforts a greater chance of success. Sorry for rambling on in this fashion...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Craig-back again;  Noticed this on Tinternet as well- Hope it is known to you:

War pensions and allowances

by Hogge, J. M. (James Myles), 1873-1928; Garside, T. H.

Available to download for free at www.archive.org

To use the words that might be familiar to someone up your way from an old advertising campaign by "The Sun"-"Its a right riveting read"

Hi Craig-back again;  Noticed this on Tinternet as well- Hope it is known to you:

War pensions and allowances

by Hogge, J. M. (James Myles), 1873-1928; Garside, T. H.

Available to download for free at www.archive.org

To use the words that might be familiar to someone up your way from an old advertising campaign by "The Sun"-"Its a right riveting read"

Thanks - already in my collection.

Craig

8 hours ago, IPT said:

Put me down for a signed copy.

(Signed by either Ant and Dec or Jimmy Nail)

Christ no, I've removed myself from any association with that lot ! In my defence I'm originally from Consett (about 15 miles from Newcastle) so far enough away to be in Durham not Tyne and Wear and, as such, remove myself from any blame.

Craig

Are there any specific areas of the War Gratuity that people would like covered ? I've probably got the area in mind anyway but any suggestions help.

Craig

1 hour ago, Bardess said:

Abbreviations would be a main one for me

Excellent - I should be able to add a small section on that.

Craig

Dear Craig,

The treatment of gratuities to Officers of the Indian Army and Indian Army Reserve of Officers would be a main one for me.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 30/11/2016 at 00:09, ss002d6252 said:

Have as many as you can buy Andy !

Having thought about it more and considered the time I have free (a lot) I think I'm going to do it - it won't be a masterpiece but hopefully it'll work as a small reference book.

Craig

Terrific. Can I have it signed by Captain Blackadder, since Rowan Atkinson is from Consett. Although Alun Arnstrong might be more suitable since he's to be the voice of the Sunderland Echo...

3 minutes ago, Andy Wade said:

Terrific. Can I have it signed by Captain Blackadder, since Rowan Atkinson is from Consett. Although Alun Arnstrong might be more suitable since he's to be the voice of the Sunderland Echo...

Of course you can, Darling.  I was wondering when someone would ask for Blackadder. 

Craig

So far I've got sections (of varying lengths) on

A quick history of the effects branch
Royal patriotic Fund
Soldiers Effects Fund
Unclaimed estates
The Orphans Saving Bank
Soldiers Wills
The Service Gratuity
The War Gratuity
How the gratuity was calculated (along with examples)
Common abbreviations found on the records
A section on officers

I've put some of the more obscure items in as they're intrinsically linked to the process of dealing with the effects registers and war gratuity.

Craig

Do  the same regulations apply to  Naval payments or did they differ?  The Admiralty seemingly  went their own way on so many things that I have to wonder.

Keith

10 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Do  the same regulations apply to  Naval payments or did they differ?  The Admiralty seemingly  went their own way on so many things that I have to wonder.

Keith

There was a lot of discussion over it due to Prize payments etc - I believe they settled for a different scheme the end but I can't say 100%. Details are in some of the cabinet office files from the N/A. I can take look if you want  Keith ?

Craig

Dear Craig,

Did the Indian Army differ? I, too, wonder...

Come to think about it, did  Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa come into the equation at all?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

12 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Craig,

Did the Indian Army differ? I, too, wonder...

Come to think about it, did  Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa come into the equation at all?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

The Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians had their own system.  South Africa seems to have had a system but their overseas contingent could qualifying under the British army scheme in some cases.

The Indian Army,  I'm not sure about but I'd presume they had a system.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

15 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

There was a lot of discussion over it due to Prize payments etc - I believe they settled for a different scheme the end but I can't say 100%. Details are in some of the cabinet office files from the N/A. I can take look if you want  Keith ?

Craig

You probably have plenty to do Craig, so please don't make a special effort for me, but it would seem to make sense to add a few paragraphs, or even a chapter if needs be, just for completeness. 

I seem to be researching lots of nautical types currently, but because most records are still available it isn't as critical as the calculations that you have worked out for soldiers.

Keith

2 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

You probably have plenty to do Craig, so please don't make a special effort for me, but it would seem to make sense to add a few paragraphs, or even a chapter if needs be, just for completeness. 

I seem to be researching lots of nautical types currently, but because most records are still available it isn't as critical as the calculations that you have worked out for soldiers.

Keith

I think I'll probably add a chapter on war gratuities of the other branches and possibly one of the overseas forces.

Craig