The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/19th London Regiment

Jay Oen

First of all THANKS to the folks who replied to my first question yesterday, you all were able to help me learn more about My Great Grandfather. I knew where is buried and with your help now I know where he died. Now I find myself needing to know where he fought, what battle's, and what it was like being a 28 year old British soldier in the Great War. I can't explain the emotion and pride that I feel knowing the very blood that gives me life was spilled on a battlefield 87 years ago (tomorrow) Dec 10th 1917.

So, here's my next question. I copied the info listed for the 2/19th from the mother site,

2/19th (County of London) Battalion TF (St.Pancras)

Formed in London in September 1914. By January 1915, in 2/5th (180th) London Brigade, 2/2nd London (60th) Division.

I want to make sure I inperpet this correctly.

The 2/19th were joind in to the 2/5th (180th) brigade and then in to the 2/2nd London 60th and THEN went in to battle, so if I research the battles of the London 60th division (which I found on the mother site) then I will be tracing my Great Grandfathers footsteps?

I think I have it right, pleas correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, someone in mt last post said member Charles Fair lists the 2/19th as one of his specialties. Mr. Fair if you happen to read this I would really appreciate any information you could give me.

Thanks,

JAY

You can send a message to Charles Fair if you look him up under Members at the top of the screen.

There is also a regimental history of the 2/19th Londons. Fairly rare but there is one copy available on the Internet:

Eames,Major F.W.:

THE SECOND NINETEENTH being the History of the 2/19th London Regiment.

London.Waterlow.1930. 208pp.Ills.Maps.RofH.H&A.Front board slightly marked o/w VG

Price: US$ 150.25

Bookseller: Military Parade Bookshop, The Parade, Marlborough, WIL, United Kingdom, SN8 1NE

You can find more details by going to www.bookfinder.com

There is also a history of the 60th Division.

HISTORY OF THE 60TH DIVISION

Col P. H. Dalbiac

£ 22.00

You can buy this (a re-print) at: http://www.naval-military-press.com/ Described as: The 60th was a second line Territorial division (2/2nd London) which served briefly on theWestern Front (June to November 1916) before being transferred to Macedonia. It fought in that theatre till June 1917 when it was moved again - to Palestine where it remained to the end of the war.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

So, I am correct that the 60th is the division the 2/19th fought with , or under and if I research them I'm on the right track?

Tahnks,

JAY

Hi,

I copied these for you from the "British divisional Hitories of the great war site" you can probably get to view a copy through inter library loan via your local library.

Have you looked at the london regiment site?

David

London Regiment

The 2nd City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) in the Great War by Major W.E. Grey (London: Regimental HQ, 1929)

The War History of the 4th Bn. the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers), 1914-1919 by F.C. Grimwade (London: Regimental HQ, 19??)

The History of the London Rifle Brigade (London: Constable 1921)

Gentlemen and Officers: The Impact and Experience of War on a Territorial Regiment 1914-1918 [5th London Regiment (London Rifle Brigade)] by K.W. Mitchinson (London: Imperial War Museum, 1995)

The ‘Kensingtons’: 13th London Regiment by Sergeant O.F. Bailey and Sergeant H.M. Hollier (London: Regimental Old Comrades Association, n.d.)

The London Scottish in the Great War Edited by Lieutenant-Colonel J.H. Lindsay (London: Regimental headquarters, 1926)

War History of the 1st Battalion, Queen’s Westminster Rifles, 1914-1918 by J.H. Henriques (London: Medici Society, 1923)

War Record of the 21st London Regiment, First Surrey Rifles, 1914-1919 (London: Skinner, 1928)

The Rangers’ Historical Records from 1859 to the Conclusion of the Great War Edited by Captain A.V. Wheeler-Holohan and Captain G.M.G. Wyatt (Chenies Street, n.d.)

The History and Records of Queen Victoria’s Rifles 1792-1922 Compiled by Major C.A. Cuthbert Keeson (London: Constable, 1923)