The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Dust jacket preservation

yperman

Good afternoon,

I have a 1st edition account of a cyclist company's war service. The dust jacket is made of poor quality paper and is looking fragile. As it has a wonderful cartoon on the front I am anxious to preserve it and I wondered if anyone can suggest anything apart from not handling it and keeping it out of the sunlight?

Many thanks

Yperman

I use KPC sleeves which come on a 10 or 25m roll. Probably not much use for a single volume though. Whatever you use don't keep it in place with sellotape - it bleeds glue onto the jacket eventually & discolours it.

Clearsleeve available on Amazon is a relatively cheap option. Which Cyclist Company out of interest?

Regards

Clive

The conservator's option would be Melinex, an acid-free film which will stop the cover deteriorating any further.

Thank you all. My much hated Windows 10 is playing up and preventing me opening messages tonight. Hopefully better soon.

Owen 4256 the book is the '60th (London) Divisional Cyclist Company' printed by Pristo for the Committee of the Old Comrades Association. It also includes some information on XVIII Corps cyclist battalion. It isn't dated and the authors just give their initials. I think it is a compilation by company members in narrative form of official records, photos,personal memories and private papers. My copy was presented by the Association to the widow of a  recently deceased former private who, I guess, died around 1934 - in the back, in addition to the names of every member of the company and their details, is a list of their yearly dinners and outings which runs up to 1934 with blanks for the next five years. It also gives the numbers attending these events and shows at least half the company were still going to them in 1934.

Yperman

Yperman

Great book. There is a surprising amount of detail on the former members who were posted to other cyclist battalions towards the end. I have seen a couple of copies over the years but never one with a dust jacket.Intrigued to know what the cartoon looks like...

Regards

Clive

owen4256 this the front cover there are some inside including one of cyclists in combat in the German spring offensive 1918  showing a real skirmish. I will post it tomorrow...SDC11271.JPG

I recognised the jacket from an old Turner Donovan catalogue , just had a look and it was in the October 2005 issue , valued then at £135.

tis "The Cads on Castors"

I had no idea it was worth anything like that price. It also comes with the presentation letter to a cyclist's widow. By the way what is a "hipe" ? I think it is a SMLE from the context in the book.

4 hours ago, yperman said:

I had no idea it was worth anything like that price. It also comes with the presentation letter to a cyclist's widow. By the way what is a "hipe" ? I think it is a SMLE from the context in the book.

Yes, in the book 'The Long Trail : what the British soldier sang and said 1914-18 ' it says it is derived from the parade ground practice of malforming

words in order to attain an effect of smartness and authority . One of the forms which ' slope arms! ' took, coming from the mouth of some N.C.O 's,

warrant officers and officers , was ' Slope Hipe ! '.

Thank you Black Maria - I will put the Long Trail on my Christmas list...

14 minutes ago, yperman said:

Thank you Black Maria - I will put the Long Trail on my Christmas list...

You're welcome, yes it's well worth getting a copy as it contains a mine of information. I was reading a memoir not long ago and the author mentioned

something about 'geese' which didn't really make sense . Looking the word up in the book I found it was a soldier's slang name for the Portuguese troops

who were on the western front at the time.