The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Coalitions,Politicians and Generals

Old Tom

Dominick Graham and Shelford Bidwell have written on the Royal Artillery and firepower and have been commented on on this forum.  This book, with a sub-title 'Some aspects of command in two world wars' seems to have been ignored. It was published in 1993 and I found a copy on a WFA bookstall. It is a wide ranging work with about half its chapters dealing with WW2 which although fascinating are outside the remit of our forum. The books opens with discussion of military thinking and operational art and goes on to consider features of the western front battlefield and the coalition. Passchendaele (3rd Ypres) is then examined in the light of the earlier chapters. The authors are often critical of both politicians and generals and highlight the increasing importance of logistics.

I suppose it is unlikely that copies are now on sale but some will be in libraries and second hand shelves. I found it thought provoking and it's 300 or so closely printed pages - no pictures and a few sketch maps - to be a good read.  I wonder if others have come across it and would agree.