The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

West Yorkshire Regiment

Steve Bramley

Hi All,

Chatting to a friend at work the other day he mentioned that his Grandfather, Tom Robson, as family legend has it, was an underage enlistment (born 1898) into the Leeds Pals, where he followed his elder brothers.

Tom (not Thomas) was originally from Middleton in the Wold, Northumberland, but moved to Leeds at an early age where his family were Tailors. Toms' service number from 'pip, squeek and wilfred' was 3977.

On checking his MIC, it appears that he was also No 131104 in the MGC.

Tom was wounded, shot through the arm, and taken prisoner.

He moved to Grimsby after the war and continued in the family business (yes, fishermen needed clothes :D)

I have not researched any service battalions before, but know that from a friends Grimsby Chums database, that the original Chums went up to about 1800 with their service numbers, those that followed it seems had 5 digit numbers?

The 3977 looks like a Territorial number to me, could any Yorkshire expert say whether Tom was likely to have been a Leeds Pal?,

Regards,

Steve

Steve

Looks more like a Leeds Rifles number, definately not Leeds Pals. On checking the original Pals Roll can't find any Robsons at all.

It's amazing how many Leeds people say (usually incorrectly) that their relatives were in the Pals.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks a lot for that, arriving at a similar conclusion,

Funny, everyone in Grimsby were in the Chums! ;)

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S.

I've no idea about MGC numbers, but is Tom Robsons six digit number for a Territorial MG unit?

Very unlikely that he was a "Leeds pal". The originals had a "15/" prefix on their service numbers, and those who followed tended to have either a 5 digit or a 16/17/or 18/ prefixed number.

Dave.