The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Tank Corps headstone

Bardess

He's on the CWGC database but there is no headstone record.  

I should have explained that he is one of my IFCP cases and the headstone must have been erected within the last 2 weeks. It doesn't look like I thought it would though

I rather like it. 

What's the 1092/1 number?

Cemetery grave reference or monumental mason's reference - possibly the latter.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 07:06, Bardess said:

A surprising new headstone in Brighton, Vic, Australia

09.01.17-2.jpg

09.01.17-1.JPG

Is this a metal version of the new type of memorials that the CWGC are using on private graves in the UK, please?

There's a couple in my local cemetery, and I think that I've seen them called "Kitchener Stones" (or something similar), but I'm not sure whether I'm right or not! I haven't seen a metal version, though.

I've just heard from Lois [volunteer at Brighton Cem] and she said it's bronze and is typical of new stones but, apparently, the plaque is to be replaced [she doesn't know when] as the wording is in the wrong order!

Thank you.

It does look as if it might be a variant of the type of memorial I'm talking about, as it's on a private grave. The CWGC don't have an obligation to restore private graves, but they will put a plaque such as I describe where the wording on the original headstone has become unreadable.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. At first I thought he must be another Iraq or Persia casualty (WIA)...but no

Initially 2/Devon Regt (15582), then Somerset LI (30187) then Tank Corps (309635)

BEF France 1st June 1915, awarded the 1914/15 Trio.

Service Record says:-

Also saw service with the Labour Corps (354466) & 364th Reserve Employment

Joined the Tanks 13/03/1918 but spent his time at the depot.

No casualty indication from the medal rolls or MIC - just CWGC

Enlisted 9th February 1915, aged 19, occupation hairdresser from Port Talbot

Discharged 23/05/19 with a disability pension, graded 70%, awarded 20/01/1920, but cannot read the reason

Record says Wounded 19/07/16

In Hospital 01/05/17-10/08/17

Died at No 11 Australian General Hospital Victoria, 05/09/20

Pension Record says:-

Discharged 22/04/19, disability 70% for amputated partial right thumb - so would be surprised if that is what killed him !

His medical report records possible heart condition.

Interesting that he is on the CWGC roll as a casualty despite being discharged 23/05/19 or 22/04/19 (which ever is correct), presumably because he was still in the Reserve.

Edited by ghchurcher
Correcting conflict in info

His Death Certificate states Valvular disease of the Heart [VDH] and Nephritis - noted to have been aggravated by his Service on his Pension papers. Not in the Reserve

• 3 months later...
On 1/10/2017 at 09:13, The Scorer said:

Is this a metal version of the new type of memorials that the CWGC are using on private graves in the UK, please?

There's a couple in my local cemetery, and I think that I've seen them called "Kitchener Stones" (or something similar), but I'm not sure whether I'm right or not! I haven't seen a metal version, though.

There is nothing new about the style of stone now commonly used in the UK - the Gallipoli peninsula has thousands of them. For that reason I always think of them as Gallipoli plaques - but, I think, the CWGC have another term that I cannot recall.

The use of bronze as in the new marker is not new either (picture from Chittagong by Jonathon Agnew and shamelessly stolen from his twitter feed):

Chittagong plaques JAgnew.jpg