The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Finding My Australian Grandfather

Guest Douglas Johnstone

Guest Douglas Johnstone

Thomas Johnstone joined the 8th Battalion AIF, as a private, in September 1914 and took part in the Gallipoli Landings on 25th April 1915, along with his brother, Donald. He would later serve with on the Western Front and earn the Military Cross. He met my grandmother, while recovering from injuries he received in June 1916, and after the war they married. But Thomas could not settle in England and returned to Australia, leaving my grandmother pregnant with my father. They would never see each other again.

This is the story of my search to find out who Thomas was and what had happened to him. It also tells the story of his war record and that of his brothers, Donald and Archibald Johnstone.

Douglas Johnstone.

Hi Douglas

Welcome to the forum. We do need some more details, grandmother's maiden name, where did they live in UK,  your father's details etc...however a quick search comes up with

Thomas Watt Johnstone 8th Bn AIF,London Gazette 1.2.19, page 1730 position 8. Award Military Cross..Recommendation made 10th Aug 1918 Thomas Watt Johnstone

This is your grandfather, Thomas Watt Johnstone  3rd. B.19.7.1889, South Yarra,Victoria, Australia. d.20.6.1967, Concord. New South Wales. Married May Wood 17.6.1919, Leicester. FULL SERVICE RECORDS ON ANCESTRY. PUBLIC TREE ON ANCESTRY. AWARDED MC. Lieutenant when discharged. Divorced 19.8.1938 remarried 6.9.1938 to a Jean Stirling Kinder 1892-1966.

Regards Barry

You won't need to search any more...I presume your father was Roy and your middle name 'M' ?

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Douglas

Just realised you posted under Book Reviews! So apologies if you've got all the above, could have saved you some time.

Regards Barry