The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Field Artillery and Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest Ska Wars

How do,

I recently found my Great Grand Dad's medals and have decided to try and found out about him as few of my family know more than his name.

From what I've found so far he was a gunner with the Royal Artillery and I came across these two bits of info when browsing the national archives webpage:

Royal Field Artillery 76953

Royal Garrison Artillery 200938

From this I'm assuming he transfered from one to the other and that the serial numbers are the regiments number.

Anyone know what regiments these numbers are referring to? I'm not sure where he signed up but he was Irish so I assume it would of been in Ireland but as I say I don't know which city.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I guess he may have left the army and then re-enlisted?

What was his name? Was he killed in the war?

Alan

Andrew McClurg and no we wasn't killed.

This is the page I found on the national archives site Andrew McClurg.

The regiments numbers given there match the medals I have although there is no mention on either of them of '200938'.

On the medals it reads:

76963 GNR. A MCCLURG. R. A.

On that page it also mentions the dates 1914-1920. Is this jus the time period in which this medals were issued or would that be the actual length of his time in the service?

Because both cards refer to the same man then he must have joined the RFA with the regimental number of 76963 and then later transferred to the RGA with the regimental number of 200938. Your initial message appears to infer that the numbers refer to regiments but that is not the case, they are McClurg's service numbers. Neither number gives any clue as to which unit he belonged to in the RFA or RGA. Regards, Dick.

Ska,

The numbers under Regiment are his service number in his 'regiment' (unit) not the number of his regiment.

L.

Aaaah right lol Cheers.

I assumed your service number would remian the same no matter what regiment you were assigned to, must of been what threw me.

Thanks for the info.

Your man most definitely held one continuous service, most probably transferring from RFA to RGA in the Autumn of 1916 when the RFA was reorganised. As Dick Flory says the numbers are individual and although called Reg no's are specific only to him. In this particular case no inference of Battery can be made.

Roop

There were so many men in the army that your number was only unique in your particular branch of the army. If you got reassigned/deployed into another branch of the army, ie from the RFA to the Labour corps you would get a new number.

L.

Ah right, cheers for the info.

By the way, alot of people/sites keep telling me how around 60% of the WW1 enlisted men's records were destroyed during 1940, but no one seems to menion the 40% that survived. Are these available to the public in any form?

Ska,

These are available at the National Archives at Kew.

Andy

Kew? Is that an abreviation of something? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I only jus got in from work and my brain is running slower than my PC at the moment :P

The National Archives

Ruskin Avenue

Kew

Richmond

London