The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bruce Bairnsfather. Bullets and Billets

nikp

Hello folks.

I have just picked up a first edition 1916 ( December 1916) reprint. I am having trouble finding out info on the rarity of this book because there seem to be very few around. Does anyone have any information as to the rarity and value of this. It is in very good condition and will make a great addition to my Bruce Bairnsfather collection but is it worth putting on my house insurance. There seem to be a couple on rare book sites but they are silly money so a bit confused.

Many thanks,

Nick.

billnew_791988j.jpg

Without a jacket a 1st edition would be about £50 - 75. With, maybe £250 - 300. If yours is a reprint, even from the same year & has no jacket then only £5-10, I'm afraid. Collectors only want 1st printings before any subsequent impressions.

Thanks for that. I have no intention of selling but am grateful; for the info. A cracking and enjoyable book.

Signed copies go for 300 plus, depending upon inscription.

1 hour ago, nikp said:

Thanks for that. I have no intention of selling but am grateful; for the info. A cracking and enjoyable book.

If you look on the 'Favourite Book Jacket' thread, post no.211, you'll see a picture of the much rarer follow-up, 'From Mud to Mufti'.

I agree, both books are an excellent read.