The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Distant Drum" by F E Noakes

The Scorer

The South Wales Branch of the WFA had a talk last night by Professor Peter Simkins.

His topic was "Guards & Canadians At The Canal Du Nord 1918", and it was, as you'd expect, very good. Towards the end of the talk, he mentioned this book, saying that "Someone called Peter Simkins has written the Forward, so it must be good!", which got a chuckle or three.

Anyway, it looks quite interesting, and I see that there are a few copies available on Amazon. Does anyone know anything about it, and is it recommended, please? Thank you.

I read it a while ago now but would definitely recommend it , the book was originally published in 1952 and was very rare with copies selling for hundreds,

but since the reprint copies of the original are a bit more reasonable and of course the reprint is widely available.

I got the Kindle version at 99p a few weeks ago. Alas, that offer is now unavailable.

A while ago I started a thread on First World War memoirs, and posted about The Distant Drum HERE.

[Prof. Peter Simkins is a wonderful chap, and he is one of the reasons why I decided to do a (part-time over two years) Masters degree in 'Britain and the First World War' at Wolverhampton University, where he still lectures post-graduates. Details are HERE for anyone interested in doing the course - it is hugely rewarding, but VERY hard work. Student loans are now available for older people doing MAs, so you have fewer excuses not to go ahead....].

William 

Edited by WilliamRev
edited for clarity

10 hours ago, WilliamRev said:

A while ago I started a thread on First World War memoirs, and posted about The Distant Drum HERE.

William 

Thanks for this... and I agree about Peter Simkins .