The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is this the right man?

Alan_J

Hi,

This may have been asked before, if so I apologise, but have only recently joined the forum. I know my great grandfather, Ernest John Saxon, fought in the First World War. On the medal card listings, there are several Ernest Saxons' but only one Ernest J Saxon (listed as Lincolnshire regiment).

I assume there is no further information without getting the medal card (or searching for the service record, but looks like less hope there from what I have read elsewhere)? So I take a chance and pay the £3.50, hope it's the right one. If not, I try the other Ernest Saxons (I think 6 in all, although one was an officer, so he won't be my ancestor!).

I'm happy to do this, just wanted to know if there is anything else I can check first! Oh, and would the medal card give the full middle name rather than just the initial?

Any help appreciated!

Alan

Hello Alan - from the few Medal Index Cards I've downloaded, the names on the cards are just as they are in the search index, so probably wouldn't give any different info (though someone may have had a different experience).

If you can get to Kew, look up Ernest Saxons in the service records that survived. If your g-grandfather married just after the war, or had a child just after the war (or during, or right before), his marriage certificate or child's birth certificate might mention his regiment and/or number.

Number one on your list - which you may already have done - is contact some far-flung and not-so-far-flung relatives, and ask if they remember anything about Ernest's war service. Even a tiny tid-bit might lead you somewhere and help to narrow the search.

Good luck!

Thanks Tybaltstone,

In fact the info from family is extremely thin; my father knew his grandfather (ernest) had been in the War, but that was it! He doesn't know regiment, details, and didn't have any letters or photos. He didn't even have his mother's birth certificate (I do now) - but she was born in 1911 and he was married before the War too.

Having started to look into it, I've got him interested now, but no other living relatives around to ask unfortunately.

I guess at some point I'll have to try Kew!

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

When it comes to downloading the card you want, you'll find that you'll actually get 6 --- the one you want + 5 others. As the fore/surnames are the same, there is a strong chance that getting one will get you all three.

Les.

Alan,

Do you you have reason to believe he was in the Lincolns other than the MIC???

Do you have an approximate date of enlistmet?? (probably not)

Where was your man from, depending which Batt Lincs, can be a clue subject to date.

Lots of questions I know but the Lincolns are interesting as they also were a base regiment for Derby Scheme men either volunteer ot otherwise, similarly certain Batts were generally recruited in certain areas between certain dates although not exclusively.

Roop

Hi Roop,

I have no reason to think he was in the Lincolns other than the fact that the only Ernest J Saxon in the list was! I was just hoping it would be easier that way.....I should know better!

He was from Tipton in Staffordshire, but on some of the Census returns I have seen he doesn't use his middle initial - but his full name is on my grandmothers birth certificate.

I was always under the impression that particularly after the Somme new recruits (or conscripts) were sent out to various regiments, not necessarily to thier "home" one?

I think I will have to try Kew when I can get up there; if his service record survives that might give more information.

Alan

Alan,

You may be correct in your assumption except assumptions are dangerous.

If the MIC gives his middle intitial it is very good and plausible evidence. When asked "Full Name" a young lad would likely give it especially to get in the Army.

Secondly, many Lincs recruits ended up in the Staffs which again is spurious info at this stage.

Hopefully a SR would answer your questions but as you know this is a hit and miss affair.

Roop

Hi

Although the Medal Index Card may only give the middle name initial the War & Victory Medal Rolls to which they refer generally give the full name. Your next step will be to get a copy of the roll but unfortunately these are not available on-line

Steve

Hi

Me again

You can eliminate another of the Ernest Saxons, 26977 Ernest Saxon Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died during the War

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I think I will get the MIC for Ernest J (which will also give me some of the other Ernest Saxons.

Where can I get hold of copies of the medal rolls? Is this held also at Kew?

Thanks

Alan

Yup the medal rolls are only available at Kew.

L.

Alan,

If you know your mans home address the Electoral Roll - Absent Voters, may be of help to you. I managed to find my grandfather's entry which provided his service number, rank and unit details.

Good luck

Mike

Mike,

I have his home address in 1911 when my grandmother was born. Are the electoral rolls accessible on-line, or do I have to visit Staffordshire (where he lived)?

Alan

Alan

Electoral Rolls are normally only available at the local or central library in the area where the person lived. There are some Absent Voter rolls appearing online but they are few and far between, usually the result of a personal project from enthusiasts.

Also remember that a man had to be 21 to appear on the Electoral Roll and/or Absent Voters List.

SN

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I have now obtained the MIC, plus one for my wife's great grandfather.

The one for the latter (George Winterbottom, Sapper in the RE), contains a hand-written notation which looks to read: -

Sw B List RE/2157

This is below the roll list for the Victory and British medals, there is a seperate notation for those (it is the design 1 card).

Does anyone have any idea what this might mean? If I can, I will try to get that part of the image and post it, although I'm not sure ho9w easy it is from a pdf file.

Thanks

Alan

Gavin,

Great, thanks very much! My father in law (who is not very well at the moment) will be chuffed to hear, he only knew about the Victory & British medals!

Cheers

Alan