The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Old grenade - replica or not?

Guest superlorre

Guest superlorre

Hi, I just found an old grenade. From what I've found out it is a British MK 2 Mills Bomb. I'm wondering if anyone know what the markings mean, and if the grenade is a replica or the real deal?

greanade.JPG

20170215_190945.jpg

How do you just happen to 'find' a grenade? In the circumstances it wants handing over to the police asap.

David 

This thread mentions red and green x markings as signifying a live grenade for tropical use...

Be careful

Dave

Edited by depaor01

Looks like a late WW2 Tropicalised Mills 36 Grenade. This is not a replica.

If you have 'found it' - It would be best to weigh it. A fully armed Mills weighs around 710 grams and unfilled one about 600 grams.

If it's the former you will probably have to call the Police who will get the EOD to check it.

Armed and live ones are out there. An antique dealer I know bought a Mills 36 in a house clearance few years ago and it was fully live with the detonator and ready to go bang. He was lucky not to pull the pin.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey
update

There was one in the window of a Southampton junk shop with a sort of ooze coming out of the filler screw - always wondered about that one.

Edited by T8HANTS
correction

18 minutes ago, T8HANTS said:

There was one in the window of a Southampton junk shop with a sort ooze coming out of the filler screw - always wondered about that one.

Doesn't sound good.

Craig