The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medical Services on the Western Front

suesalter1

Can anyone recommend a good book(s) to read about the organisation of the medical services on the Western Front. I've read 'The Roses of Passendaele' by Lynn McDonald, but I'm sure there must be more recent publications.

Thanks,

Sue.

• Admin

Sue

If you go to archive.org and search for "medical services" war you will get a lot of the Official Medical History for the British Army along with Canadian and Australian histories. I hope this link still works https://archive.org/search.php?query="medical services" war

Are you after any particular area e.g hospitals, nurses etc.?

Glen

Not recent, but second Macpherson's 4 vols, and:

BMA's British MediCIne in the War 1914-1917.  also available at archive.org

For an overview: Bergen's Medicine and Medical Service

Edited by TGM
typos

Wounded by Emily Mayhew published in 2014. It tells the stories from points of wounding all the way back to UK hospitals with all the bits in between explained.  

Thanks all for these suggestions. I didn't really want anything too heavy or academic like the official histories (useful as they undoubtedly are) and the Mayhew book has had some negative reviews by some. I've gone for 'Lifeline : A British Casualty Clearing Station on the Western Front' by Iain Gordon. It's the operations of the CCS's is what I'm most interested in.

Sue.

Yes, thanks for those suggestions.  Something I have an interest in also.

Hazel C

I've been looking again at the Official Histories by McPherson. Look fascinating, but I don't like reading on-line. Does anyone where I find copies in libraries or museums?

Sue.

Sue, where are you based? I have all bar 1 vol. in the library I curate.

If you are not near Gosport, searching for individual titles on  http://copac.jisc.ac.uk should enable you to find copies near you.

sJ

Well, I'm in Norfolk! Bit far. I'm only near Gosport when I visit family near Fareham, In the meantime, I'll check out the website,

Thanks,

Sue,

for a very good account of the medical services in Mesopotamia "Surgery on Trestles" by Begg is a very good read indeed !!

And I have a copy ...

47 minutes ago, suesalter1 said:

Well, I'm in Norfolk! Bit far. I'm only near Gosport when I visit family near Fareham, In the meantime, I'll check out the website,

Thanks,

Sue,

My dad is in Norfolk :)

Sue,

If you follow this link to the 4 Vols. there is an option to download them as pdfs on the right hand side slightly scrolled down. Still means sitting at computer though.

TEW

Just down loaded them to my Kindle Tew. Thanks for the link. Mike is a wonder.

Hazel C.

Hazel,

Can you download them onto an android tablet. I have downloaded books from Amazon Kindle, so I assume it works on my tablet too.

Sue.

38 minutes ago, suesalter1 said:

Hazel,

Can you download them onto an android tablet. I have downloaded books from Amazon Kindle, so I assume it works on my tablet too.

Sue.

Sorry Sue.  I am technologically challenged, and have a step by step guide for downloading to my kindle but I am sure you could download to a tablet.

Hazel

Yep, I'm just the same when it comes to technology! I'll give it a go though. Thanks.

Sue.